Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Condition of Apple's Replacement Battery for iPad mini 4

I am familiar with the iPad mini 4, having several of them in my family and my wife and I using one side-by-side to read the news morning and evening. After almost five years of use, the battery life on my mini 4 began to decline enough that I thought it would be worth having Apple replace it. The battery was still decent but I was concerned about its potential life on the occasional long trips away from a charge.

A few weeks ago, I sent the mini 4 in to Apple for what I assumed would be a new battery. (My assumption, I don't think I recall seeing the word "new.") A replacement was returned quickly but after a few days, it was clear that this battery's performance was far short of my original battery, even at year three or more. It charges and discharges much more quickly than my wife's two year old mini 4 with the same use except that she uses much higher screen brightness than I do. I did not take a benchmark on the mini 4 battery I mailed in to Apple (I should have) but it appears to be performing a little better than the old battery but nowhere close to a new battery. This, even though the new battery indicates full capacity (not charge) on a couple of the apps based on Apple's developer APIs.

Does anyone know what the criteria are for replacements? Did I get an "acceptable" used battery, a factory defect new battery, or a new battery that has been deteriorating on a shelf for years.

I really don't want to go through the hours of time it takes to work though Apple support (disconnected and had to restart -- 80 minutes to get the process started) or the hours it has taken to restore logons in many dozens of apps with this replacement, but I would like to get a clarification as to what I got for the $100.

Needless to say, but just to avert first level responses, my observations are controlling for charger, cable, usage time, etc. There is no mistake in interpreting that this replacement battery does not perform as well as the original, my wife's two year old mini 4 or, in conversation, with those of other family members.

Thank you in advance.

iPad mini 4, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 8:34 AM

Maybe someone will come along who had a personal experience or can shed some company policy light on the issue.

I had a battery service by Apple in January on an iPad 5 128GB. No issues. From drop-off at the UPS Store to having the replacement at my door took six days, two of them weekend days.

I did not have to call Apple. I was able to set up everything online.

Apple does not replace batteries in iPads; they send you a refurbished iPad of the same model and specs. This is what Apple does in refurbing an iPad:

You have a one-year warranty. The one I received has been perfect with no battery issues.

It is possible for a new battery to be bad. The sooner you contact Apple about this, the sooner you can start enjoying the iPad again.

We don't work for Apple so can't know about unpublished service policy, but the above image is published and from the "More Info..." link at the top of this Apple page:

Refurbished iPad - Apple

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2021 8:34 AM in response to FlyBoyMcCall

Maybe someone will come along who had a personal experience or can shed some company policy light on the issue.

I had a battery service by Apple in January on an iPad 5 128GB. No issues. From drop-off at the UPS Store to having the replacement at my door took six days, two of them weekend days.

I did not have to call Apple. I was able to set up everything online.

Apple does not replace batteries in iPads; they send you a refurbished iPad of the same model and specs. This is what Apple does in refurbing an iPad:

You have a one-year warranty. The one I received has been perfect with no battery issues.

It is possible for a new battery to be bad. The sooner you contact Apple about this, the sooner you can start enjoying the iPad again.

We don't work for Apple so can't know about unpublished service policy, but the above image is published and from the "More Info..." link at the top of this Apple page:

Refurbished iPad - Apple

Jun 6, 2021 12:16 PM in response to FlyBoyMcCall

Yes, I understand. But no one else had answered, so I tried to help. It sounds as though the replacement battery may be defective. If possible, you might take the device to a nearby Apple Store. I can suggest no other course of action, save what you have already been through. At least you are familiar with the routine.

Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple

Jun 7, 2021 8:40 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thank you for the information. My experience was similar to yours except for the battery and the fact that the initial diagnostic chat took a long time because and Apple system malfunctioned (received a message in chat stating that) and I had to start over with a new person who could not see the extensive conversation and diagnostic results.

I received material with my replacement iPad stating that I had 90 days and I just looked this up on the Apple website:

"Our guarantee after service

We guarantee our service, including replacement parts, for 90 days

or the remaining term of your Apple warranty or AppleCare plan coverage,

whichever is longer. We offer this whenever you get service from us or

from an Apple Authorized Service Provider. This is in addition to rights

provided by consumer law."

I am not sure what to make about the conflicting guidance.

Jun 7, 2021 8:45 AM in response to FlyBoyMcCall

I think I have 90 days so I'll wait awhile.

Yes, on out of warranty replacement parts you have 90 days. If it was a warranty or Applecare replacement, you generally have either a minimum of 90 days or until the original warranty or Applecare period ends.

Just as an aside - in general asking online strangers for their experience is not always helpful. The circumstances are rarely exactly the same (was it the same model? in warranty? or not? what country? Apple service available?), so doing a poll is not generally helpful.

Jun 7, 2021 8:57 AM in response to babowa

You right about the many threats to validity and generalizability inherent to forum discussions such as this one. You did not, however, mention the well researched benefits inherent to these kinds of discussions, stimulus value being one of many. In particular, I have found judgments made by Apple forum participants to be intelligent and helpful on balance.

As for the degree to which a specific forum member's comment might be useful to someone other than myself, I would not presume to make that judgment for them.

Jun 7, 2021 7:39 PM in response to Allan Jones

I just had an iPad replaced under Applecare for a screen/graphics problem and was told that the original warranty terms apply to the replacement (unless there are less than 90 days left under warranty in which case the minimum coverage is 90 days) and which is why they just hand you the replacement while changing the serial number on the purchase and warranty records.

If only a part is repaired or replaced - in or out of warranty - they cover it for 90 days. I’ve had that with one of my iMacs. I do not know if they replace a battery in an iPad - have not needed that.

And, buying a refurb from Apple, you get one year (or longer with Applecare).

All in all, a bit confusing!

Condition of Apple's Replacement Battery for iPad mini 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.