Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Longtime bug in High Sierra -- unable to connect to my personal wi-fi network

This is a clean install of High Sierra on a 2014 Mac mini, upgraded to the top-level 10.13.6, with almost no other applications installed other than the included Apple apps.

Unlike my other 3 Apple devices (Mac mini running Sierra, iPhone, 2018 MacBook Air running Mojave) a Chromebook, and a Roku, (which are all unplugged or sleeping) this Mac mini does not recognize my personal wi-fi network and cannot connect to it. (I have it connected to the router via Ethernet.)

I spent hours with Apple support on this with no resolution, despite the clear indications this is a bug in High Sierra, as evidenced by thousands of posters here with the same problem, as in the old topic "10.13 High Sierra Wi-fi issue" and others.

Predictably, the only advice Apple support could offer was to either upgrade the OS or reinstall High Sierra.

It appears that this High Sierra clean-install Mac mini, which is on iCloud and has Bluetooth activated, like my other Apple devices, inherited wi-fi addresses and log-ins from them, which is as designed (I think). However, although all the other devices are on my wi-fi network (though the others are shut down or sleeping), there's some kind of conflict in the wi-fi log-in on this 2014 Mac mini.

I've tried deleting the ~Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration files (except for com.apple.Boot.plist) and restarting a couple of times, but no success.

What is the fix for this????

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 11:56 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jun 6, 2021 12:10 PM in response to crabpaws

crabpaws Said:

"This is a clean install of High Sierra on a 2014 Mac mini, upgraded to the top-level 10.13.6, with almost no other applications installed other than the included Apple apps. Unlike my other 3 Apple devices (Mac mini running Sierra, iPhone, 2018 MacBook Air running Mojave) a Chromebook, and a Roku, (which are all unplugged or sleeping) this Mac mini does not recognize my personal wi-fi network and cannot connect to it. (I have it connected to the router via Ethernet.) [...]there's some kind of conflict in the wi-fi log-in on this 2014 Mac mini.[...]"

-------

Use a Dynamic IP Address:

Without getting too technical here, there seems to be a conflicting IP Address. So, change from a Static IP address to a Dynamic IP address, and an IP Address would be created and assigned, as long as it is not being used. If you cannot get into the network, try the following:

• Reset the Router (If an available option): - Reset it, wait 30 seconds, then power it back on.

• Create a New Administrator:  If that works, then it is something mis-configured in the current user

• Rid of Security Software: Security software make be overruling this. Such software is unnecessary for use on a Mac, as its firewall and parents settings are getting in the way. Use the software uninstaller to uninstall it.

Jun 6, 2021 2:24 PM in response to crabpaws

crabpaws wrote:

What dynamic vs static IP address are you referring to?

I was not referring to either. But your issue is inability to connect to your LAN. Your issue is not with your gateway device not being able to connect to your ISP. So power cycling your router will allow your LAN devices including your computer to be assigned new DHCP (dynamic) ip address by your router.

Jun 6, 2021 1:26 PM in response to TheLittles

Hello --

My IPv6 Address is already dynamic (assigned by Comcast/Xfinity). I'll try resetting it (Comcast instructions here).

I've reset the router multiple times. I also went into router settings and changed the wifi channel.

This Mac mini has been on Ethernet from the beginning. I want to get it on wifi to communicate with my other devices.

Created a new administrator with Apple Support, that didn't work.

I have installed no security software on this Mac.

As I noted before, this is a longstanding, oft-reported bug in High Sierra, not in the Mac mini hardware.

Longtime bug in High Sierra -- unable to connect to my personal wi-fi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.