Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tracking calories in apple health

Recently switched from Fitbit to Apple Watch, and while on the whole I am happy about the increased capabilities, I am a little disappointed by the calorie tracking. The Apple Watch tracks total calories burned, cool. But the app has no way to manually track calories consumed. I tried syncing my fitness pal, but it only syncs macronutrients, not total calories. This seems like an obvious oversight, like I have to be just looking in the wrong place, right?

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 7:53 AM

I wouldn’t expect the watch itself to track calories consumed, but would have hoped there was a section in the health app where it could be entered. Or synced from an app like my fitness pal. I don’t think it is too much to ask for a section of the health app to show data on total calories burned vs total calories consumed (like you can do in the Fitbit app). Thanks for the link, I will put in the feature request.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2021 7:53 AM in response to javaliga

I wouldn’t expect the watch itself to track calories consumed, but would have hoped there was a section in the health app where it could be entered. Or synced from an app like my fitness pal. I don’t think it is too much to ask for a section of the health app to show data on total calories burned vs total calories consumed (like you can do in the Fitbit app). Thanks for the link, I will put in the feature request.

Jun 6, 2021 7:51 PM in response to Andrew_7

I don't believe the watch can manually track calories consumed. To see the total calories burned for the day first, tap on the Activity app (and History at the bottom left corner if not already selected - then select a day). Then swipe left in the "Move" section to not show the graph and show the Active and Total calories. (Swipe right to return to the graph.). Or, you can use the Health app - tap on Activity.

According to What is the difference in "active cal… - Apple Community

Total calories include - basal calories + calories burned when doing a workout. Active calories are those that are burned during some activity like swimming running or anything else where your body is moving, Basal are those that your body burns during a day without any activity.

If you would like to make this suggestion to Apple, use this link:

Product Feedback - Apple

Tracking calories in apple health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.