Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch series 7

Does anyone know of a good app - either Apple or third party - that I can download that will continuously track calories burned all day?

I used to wear a Fitbit watch that tracked calories burned all the time it was on my wrist but the Apple Watch only tracks calories burned when you activate a workout.

I assume there must be an app that will track so long as the watch is on my wrist.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 11:44 AM

Actually, the watch tracks total calories as well. According to What is the difference in "active cal… - Apple Community

Total calories include - basal calories + calories burned when doing a workout. Active calories are those that are burned during some activity like swimming running or anything else where your body is moving, Basal are those that your body burns during a day without any activity.

To see the total calories burned for the day first, tap on the Activity app (and History at the bottom left corner if not already selected - then select a day). Then swipe left in the "Move" section to not show the graph and show the Active and Total calories. (Swipe right to return to the graph.). Or, you can use the Health app - tap on Activity.

Track daily activity with Apple Watch - Apple Support

On your iPhone, tap:

Health > Show All Health Data > Summary

then you can see your Active Energy and Resting Energy (in calories) for the current day. Total calories is the sum of those two. Tap on one of those (or any other pane) and you can also see your history for the day, week, month, or year.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2021 11:44 AM in response to KMP4

Actually, the watch tracks total calories as well. According to What is the difference in "active cal… - Apple Community

Total calories include - basal calories + calories burned when doing a workout. Active calories are those that are burned during some activity like swimming running or anything else where your body is moving, Basal are those that your body burns during a day without any activity.

To see the total calories burned for the day first, tap on the Activity app (and History at the bottom left corner if not already selected - then select a day). Then swipe left in the "Move" section to not show the graph and show the Active and Total calories. (Swipe right to return to the graph.). Or, you can use the Health app - tap on Activity.

Track daily activity with Apple Watch - Apple Support

On your iPhone, tap:

Health > Show All Health Data > Summary

then you can see your Active Energy and Resting Energy (in calories) for the current day. Total calories is the sum of those two. Tap on one of those (or any other pane) and you can also see your history for the day, week, month, or year.

Apple Watch series 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.