Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden hairline crack on my Ipad

I have had hairline crack on my ipad 7th gen 10.2 today morning out of nowhere,I have not dropped it even once from the date of purchase,but lots of scratches on screen due to constant gaming.

At first there was long curved single line from the one side to another side of the screen(vertically) but as I was touching the crack to confirm if it was not just a scratch,an another hairline crack came from the same origin(ATTACHED PICS)

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 5:26 AM

From Apple’s iPad Repair website.

iPad Repair - Official Apple Support

Apple Limited Warranty coverage

The Apple Limited Warranty covers your iPad and Apple-branded accessories against manufacturing defects for one year from the date you bought your product. The Apple Limited Warranty is in addition to rights provided by consumer law.

Our warranty doesn't cover damage caused by accidents or unauthorized modifications. See the warranty for complete details. You can check your warranty status online and update your proof-of-purchase information if there's an error in our records.

Read the Apple Limited Warranty

Check your warranty status

Update your proof-of-purchase

Learn more about consumer law

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2021 5:26 AM in response to snrsnr009

From Apple’s iPad Repair website.

iPad Repair - Official Apple Support

Apple Limited Warranty coverage

The Apple Limited Warranty covers your iPad and Apple-branded accessories against manufacturing defects for one year from the date you bought your product. The Apple Limited Warranty is in addition to rights provided by consumer law.

Our warranty doesn't cover damage caused by accidents or unauthorized modifications. See the warranty for complete details. You can check your warranty status online and update your proof-of-purchase information if there's an error in our records.

Read the Apple Limited Warranty

Check your warranty status

Update your proof-of-purchase

Learn more about consumer law

Jun 7, 2021 11:09 AM in response to snrsnr009

Unless this iPad had paid, extended, two-year AppleCare+ applied to it, NO user damages/screen damages are covered.

The free, limited, one-year AppldCare (NO + sign ) only covers manufacturing defects NOT caused by the user.

Since you admitted to constant;y gaming on that iPad all the time, you may have heated up that iPad enough to cause a screen crack.

Also, since you need to hold an iPad while gaming, maybe you were gripping it too tighly or putting undue gripping stress on thd entire iPad, causing the iPad to flex enough to cause screen cracking..

Either way, tablet screen cracks do not happen all by themselves

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Jun 7, 2021 11:45 AM in response to AlexDaMan

No worries. I really didn’t think that much about it. I wholeheartedly agree with MichelPM, but I’ve gotten into a number of, shall we say, heated discussions with people that said their device was, never dropped or had spontaneous cracks appear for no reason.

I just wanted to pass along what Apple states about the warranty. The OP can decide for themselves what path they choose to take.

Jun 7, 2021 12:06 PM in response to Demo

Yeah! I agree with him also. And I’ve also been in one of these discussions before. But I look and see someone at level 10 and I’m just shocked. Currently, I’m at level 2. And this took probably a year to get to. And I’m getting a fair amount of apple recommended posts, and a fair amount of posts that people mark helpful, or solved. But then I see someone like you, and I go from being proud, to feeling useless. Lol.

but thank you!

Jun 7, 2021 1:22 PM in response to MichelPM

It interesting that this issue has arised before in the community,I would also like to say that even though I game quite frequently,at the time of appearance of the sudden crack I was neither gaming nor did I play for the past 10 hrs,it was early morning when I noticed the crack,wasnt there the past night.

I would also like to know what is this minute chip like thing on the bottom of the screen where the crack originated,I genuinely did not drop the ipad nor was the ipad heating nor I was gaming at the time I noticed the crack...I am 100 percent sure it wasnt there the past night because it is easily noticeable when the screen is on(especially on/against white background).

Please note that I have no reason to give false statements to further my cause in this forum,not like this would get me a free screen replacement in the local service center.

I WOULD GENUINELY LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS IS A MANUFACTURING DEFECT(PLEASE ANSWER AFTER REFERING TO THE INPUTS PROVIDED ABOVE).

Regards.

Jun 7, 2021 1:40 PM in response to snrsnr009

snrsnr009 wrote:

I WOULD GENUINELY LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS IS A MANUFACTURING DEFECT(PLEASE ANSWER AFTER REFERING TO THE INPUTS PROVIDED ABOVE).

Probably not. Very small, almost imperceptible to the naked eye chips or scratches can, over time, turn into cracks. This is especially true if the device is exposed to temperature changes (e.g. having it outside in the heat and then bringing it into an airconditioned room). Pressure in just the right place can trigger a small issue to become larger. Also, in the case of iPads, because they are large, can have minor damage exacerbated by torque.

Jun 7, 2021 1:54 PM in response to snrsnr009

snrsnr009 wrote:

Regards.

No one here could possible speak to that. There is no report of any systemic issue leading to spontaneous screen fracturing with any iPad display. A swelling battery could potentially cause a display to crack, but batteries typically only swell sufficiently to do that when quite old.

But any comments here about manufacturing defects would be nothing but speculation and not founded in fact.

Jun 7, 2021 2:20 PM in response to snrsnr009

Something caused the crack.

Do you carry that iPad around with you in a type of carry bag or backpack?

Something got that screen crack started.

It is NO manufacturing defect.

I and my wife own a total of 6 iPads.

A few are 5-10 years old with no screen cracks or issues.

Only my very first 2010 iPad had a screen crack, due to both an overheated battery caused by an overheated and scorched Apple power/charging adapter block about a year after ownership

I received a new device replacement as it was obvious something went wrong with the power/charging adapter.

Something you did with that iPad, previous to this crack appearing, caused this to happen.

Sudden hairline crack on my Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.