Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible for screenshot.app to remain on after a screenshot?

The subject says it, really.

As far as I recall at least since Lion the grab/screenshot app has always closed itself after a screenshot has been taken.

Can it be made to remain "on"?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 11:09 AM

I sometimes have to take screenshots of video streams. Grab/Screenshot is very good because it keeps the selected area at one and the same place. So if the app remained on and I had placed the selected area exactly where the video stream is on my screen I would just have to press Capture to take screenshot after screenshot.

I'm aware of the shortcut function but, unless I've missed something, that requires me each time to select the video stream window, which causes me to miss the important parts, like people's facial expressions etc.

Hence, why I think it would be good if Grab/Screenshot would be active until turned off. Incidentally I've noticed on older versions on OS X and macOS that it would sometimes, but no according to any discernible pattern, remain on to allow for a second screenshot. But that does not appear to be the case under Catalina. I guess I should submit a feature request.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2021 11:09 AM in response to CatalinaThunderbird

I sometimes have to take screenshots of video streams. Grab/Screenshot is very good because it keeps the selected area at one and the same place. So if the app remained on and I had placed the selected area exactly where the video stream is on my screen I would just have to press Capture to take screenshot after screenshot.

I'm aware of the shortcut function but, unless I've missed something, that requires me each time to select the video stream window, which causes me to miss the important parts, like people's facial expressions etc.

Hence, why I think it would be good if Grab/Screenshot would be active until turned off. Incidentally I've noticed on older versions on OS X and macOS that it would sometimes, but no according to any discernible pattern, remain on to allow for a second screenshot. But that does not appear to be the case under Catalina. I guess I should submit a feature request.

Jun 8, 2021 10:21 AM in response to pullman

Why would you want it to remain on? The only purpose it has is to capture your screen. If you'd like to capture your screen more than once, you can either record the screen or take multiple screenshots. My preferred options for the latter are Command+Shift+3 or Command+Shift+4 depending on the type of screenshot being taken. I think Command+Shift+5 opens Screenshot.app

Is it possible for screenshot.app to remain on after a screenshot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.