Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers crashing on launch

I have seen numerous posts throughout the discussions addressing this same issue -- with varying levels of success. None have worked for me thus far.

I have a M1 MacBook Air with Big Sur and it has been flawless for the past 7 months. Yesterday while working in Numbers the app hung up -- swirly beach ball -- after attempting to open a document in dropbox. I did not realize at the time that my internet connection was down so apparently the app locked up while trying to open a document that was not on the local hard drive.

I forced quit and relaunched Numbers but every time I attempted to open the file it locked up (because it was offline.) I finally realized the issue. Got the internet working and launched Numbers. But this time is crashed immediately. I tried again and again. I then decided to restart my MacBook. When it launched Spotify launched at login and also crashed. I then attempted to open other apps to test which would open. All did except for Spotify, Numbers, Pages and KeyNote. After a few restarts Spotify began to open fine. The iWorks apps did not.

Searching various solution in the discussions I was able to get Pages and Keynote working by restoring Font Book. Numbers still crashes.

I have done most -- if not all -- of the fixes. Some like deleting the .plist file do not apply since there no longer is a com.apple.iworks.plist file. Some highlights: I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I have open files with shift key down. I ran disk first aid.

I have tried everything short of logging out of iCloud and logging back in which was another suggestion. I started to do so but was freaked about all the questions and asking if I was SURE I wanted to log out because everything would be gone. I know it's in the cloud but I really want to make sure this will work before I go through the hassle of having to reload all my photos, documents, emails, contacts, events etc -- and their preferences.

I feel like I am screaming into the wind but I need to access years of numbers documents for reference in my job. And unlike Numbers which CAN open excel documents, I cannot open a numbers document in excel. My workaround is to have my assistant open the documents and send them tom me as an excel but that will only do for so long.

Thanks for reading this far.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 5:00 PM

Have you updated Big Sur to 11.4?

I was having the same problem trying to launch Pages and Numbers, so I checked for an update. Once I did that, everything opened like normal (so far at least, I’ve been using it for about an hour and no problems).

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 8, 2021 1:08 PM in response to giantELF

It sounds like you have done pretty much everything ever suggested other than log out of iCloud, and I fully understand why you do not want to do that. I get concerned about losing things when logging out and it seem I always end up with duplicates of stuff after logging back in.

Do you use iCloud Drive for Numbers documents? Is System Preferences/Internet Accounts/iCloud/iCloud Drive Options/Numbers.App selected? Rather than log totally out of iCloud, you could try turning this off.

Or, given that it started with a Dropbox file, you might also try quitting the Dropbox app before starting Numbers and see if it makes any difference.

Does turning off wifi (and/or unplugging your Ethernet cable) make any difference?

I hope something works. You have tried all the usual things and I am grasping at straws.

Jun 8, 2021 5:12 PM in response to Badunit

Thank you for the quick reply. I got excited about the Dropbox idea but it did not work. I have been having issues with both the wifi and the ethernet working on an off. (I usually use ethernet because it is faster.) I am at work and others are not having the issue so something is going on. Maybe that is int Or maybe something bigger is going on with the laptop. I might try another ethernet dongle tomorrow. Your other suggestions were also promising but no go.

Man, how do I miss repairing permissions and deleting .plst files....

Jun 8, 2021 7:23 PM in response to Linzer26

It worked! Thanks for suggesting. I feel silly for not thinking of it. Bu tI am glad I do not have auto updating on because I bet this problem still would have happened with the current versions. But having the ability to update the software and clean it all up fixed the issue. (Or at least that is my guess.)

Wow. I have posted a few questions on here over the years and this is the first time I have gotten an answer that worked.

Thanks!

Numbers crashing on launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.