Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to hear Hi-Res Lossless on MacOS in native format?

MBP 2015 on MacOS 11.4.

When playing Hi-Res Lossless, by default it plays in 16/44.1. Using the Audi Midi Setup, I changed the output to 24/192. But now all tracks are output, and I assume upsampled, to 24/192.

How can one setup and play Hi-Res Lossless tracks in their native format?

If this doesn't exist, please add as feature request.

Feature request: lossless tracks should display the sample rate for the currently playing track.

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 6:56 PM

You need to get an external audio interface to output anything over 48k. Fortunately for you, Apple updated or released this article what seems to be minutes ago.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183

Similar questions

8 replies

Jun 8, 2021 9:01 PM in response to teqteq

I've made sure I'm only listening to Lossless and Lossless Hi-Res tracks. Been using the same exact setups via USB or toslink optical to listen to up to 24/192 FLACs so it's known good setups.

The problem is MacOS has no way to provide a bit-perfect stream. Check out the other thread I linked to above, as it seems to be a known issue.

Solutions:

1. MacOS updates Music to provide "exclusive" mode for audio, like other players such as Roon use, as described in the thread.
  2. MacOS Music identifies track bit depth and sample rates, so users can align Audio MIDI Setup to the same bit and sample rates.

Since Apple owns both Music and the MacOS, I hope they choose 1., but 2. would be a faster fix.

Search for "lossless hi res," people have found and made playlists of Lossless Hi-Res music.

Jun 8, 2021 8:19 PM in response to Blademan007

Note that in addition to needing an external DAC (e.g. an audio interface - I have an SSL2+), not all music is available in the Hi-Res 24/192 format. Even when selecting normal Lossless you'll see some songs are 16/44, 24/44, 24/48. A lot of content is only CD-quality 16/44, so you won't get Hi-Res of that.

I'd guess your best-bet is to play the Dolby Atmos content that's heavily featured in the "Browse" section currently, but I'm still trying to find a Hi-Res playlist too that specifically has 24/96 and 24/192 content. Maybe it's also listed as "Mastered for iTunes" or "Mastered for Apple" or something. Will let you know if I find it.

It's hard to tell though because the macOS Music app seems to have a bug whereby it's not displaying as Lossless or Atmos for most tracks (or maybe it's simply not streaming lossless most of the time, despite having it enabled). I've cleared the cache in the Advanced settings of Music. Reporting it as a bug.

How to hear Hi-Res Lossless on MacOS in native format?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.