Can you share AirTag location with family?

I purchased some airtags to put onto many things, I am wanting to share the family members like we do for location but I cannot find where to share. Please help

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 9:31 AM

It is a bit ridiculous that these can't be shared with family members or just shared like you share your location in Find My with friends.

I have a tag on our on dog, but my wife and my daughter can't track him. That's pretty sad. Do we need to add three AirTags on my dog's collar so we can all track him? LoL.

400 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2021 9:31 AM in response to hwp0455

It is a bit ridiculous that these can't be shared with family members or just shared like you share your location in Find My with friends.

I have a tag on our on dog, but my wife and my daughter can't track him. That's pretty sad. Do we need to add three AirTags on my dog's collar so we can all track him? LoL.

Aug 26, 2021 2:01 PM in response to pjnygren

pjnygren wrote:

Why doesn't anyone from Apple monitor this board and support their paying customers?

Because that's not the purpose of these forums.

If you want Apple to hear your suggestions, use the feedback page:

Product Feedback - Apple

If you want help directly from Apple, use the "Get Support" link at the top right of every page of these forums.

Jun 10, 2021 8:49 AM in response to hwp0455

You cannot.

Click on this link to find out 'How to reset your AirTag' --> https://support.apple.com/HT212251

"An AirTag can be associated with one Apple ID. If you want to use an AirTag that someone else has used, they need to remove the AirTag from their Apple ID first. If the previous user removed the AirTag from their Apple ID but they were out of Bluetooth range of the AirTag, then you need to reset it before you can use it with your devices."

Jun 13, 2023 3:04 PM in response to hwp0455

Hello.

Good news! This will be a finally be a feature in iOS 17! 🎉 (as mentioned already above).

Here is the new feature from the Apple website: Share AirTag or Find My network accessories with up to five other people. Everyone in the group can use Precision Finding and play a sound to pinpoint the location of a shared AirTag when they’re nearby.

This is now perfect for sharing a certain AirTag or accessory to everyone in your family. I wonder why Apple didn’t release this feature in the beginning 🤔.

I hope everyone’s problems in this feed are fixed (finally!).

Jun 17, 2021 3:09 PM in response to Limnos

These seems like a missed opportunity by apple - being able to share the airtag with family (or for that matter business users) seems like a pretty good idea, so long as the person it is being shared with is able to consent and opt in (and perhaps a periodic confirmation in case someone has accessed their device or approval without them knowing) - eg car keys, pets, bicycles etc

Jul 29, 2021 7:12 AM in response to nmaximus

nmaximus wrote: "I love the new AirTag, but it really needs to include family sharing just like devices. It would be helpful for my wife and I to be able to use our iphones to locate a child's backpack or similar item. It would also be wonderful if Apple would build this into AppleTV remotes."

nmaximus ~ So tell Apple that here:

iPhone Feedback

õ¿õ¬

Aug 29, 2021 7:03 AM in response to skiph

skiph wrote: "They look at enough to delete posts they don’t like."

Probably most deleted posts are not the result of Apple looking, but rather community users who "Report a discussion or answer that is off topic, inappropriate, or offensive. This option is available to make sure the community is a great place to learn." Source:

Build your reputation and get rewarded in the community

õ¿õ¬

Sep 1, 2021 8:21 AM in response to tarafromleawood

While the desire to FAMILY SHARE is understood - INCLUDING by ME - the capability was limited … at least in the initial Airtag rollout … by privacy concerns.

Specifically to allow all parties involved in the Bluetooth-based, FindMy “relaying” network to remain anonymous AND for Apple to NOT be able to track an individual’s airtag.

The ONLY way to find a particular individual’s airtag out of “the cloud” is with a device holding the corresponding PRIVATE KEY. (i.e. using a device on the “paired” AppleID)

Private keys are not shared across AppleIDs for obvious reasons.

(This is also why you can’t “share” iMessages)

We’ll all see if there is a “Next Airtag Iteration” when (or rather IF) Apple releases it.

For those so-inclined, a “deep dive” into the cryptological underpinnings of FindMy is outlined in two articles beginning here:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/security/sec6cbc80fd0/web

Can you share AirTag location with family?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.