Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Steps to migrate when users folder(s) is on an external drive?

I’ll be getting a new Mini and move from a MBP running Big Sur. The Mini is only going to house OS and applications and also an emergency admin user. My plan is to already have the users folder(s) (except for admin) and content on an external TB3 drive when I get the Mini.

I’ll need to migrate all applications either from Mac to Mac or from my Time Machine backups, but how do I handle the users folder(s) which are already there on the external? Do I just create the same users with the same credentials and just point them to their existing folders on the external? Any gotchas with permissions?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 9:46 AM

Answering my own question here… I made the switch to a Mini using the external I setup on my MBP. Went mostly smooth, but had a few corrupted preference files. I had more trouble with some apps than anything else.

All good now.

Similar questions

7 replies

Jun 14, 2021 1:13 PM in response to Anthony Curcione

It seams that the replies above are from 'bots' or pre-written replies, that's why they sound so 'correct' and do not (cannot) reply out of control. ;-)

I have used for many years +- the same user setup as you till Mojave, since Catalina it wasn't possible to get that working properly. Since Catalina System and Users are on the same disk but seperated in two kind of 'virtual' disks.

Users are now in: your system disk > System > Volumes > your system disk - Data > Users

https://www.macworld.com/article/233490/why-you-might-see-a-new-data-disk-in-catalina.htm0l

And the thing is that after a few weeks i liked it more then before because easier and faster to make backup and/or recover.

Also, like you already will now, Migration Assistent doesn't work with User accounts on another disk.

Jun 11, 2021 5:30 PM in response to Anthony Curcione

Hello Anthony Curcione,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We are happy to help you!

We understand that you would like to migrate your information from one Mac to another.

We have provided you with a few helpful pieces of information to complete the migration process:

Move your content to a new Mac

Restore your Mac from a backup

We hope this finds you well!

Cheers!

Jun 14, 2021 12:05 PM in response to Anthony Curcione

Hello Anthony Curcione,

From our understanding you are attempting to want to upload/move the information from an external hard drive to your new Mac. If this is the case, then we have provided you with information on how to utilize time machine which in turn would be assisting you with the download of information from an external hard drive to your new Mac.

Backup disks you can use with Time Machine

Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac

We hope this finds you well!

Cheers!

Jun 12, 2021 6:19 AM in response to Eric--F

Unfortunately that does not answer what I asked. I know how to do a normal migration. I’ve done tons.

I asked what do I need to do differently when the user(s) folder(s), hence the home directories, are on an external drive. this is something I haven’t done before which is why I asked the question. Could you read the full post and let me know??

Jun 14, 2021 12:42 PM in response to bailier

Nope. That isn’t remotely what I’m asking. Not sure how else to put this so it can be understood. Let’s try this…

Setup:

Mac - OS and “admin” account ONLY

External drive with home/User directories, except “admin”

External Time Machine backup

In this setup where the home/User directories will stay 100% intact on the external drive, there should be no need to do a restore from backup. However the applications and settings WILL need to be restored from backup.

So again I ask, in this setup, will the user accounts - not the user data - be restored with the home folder location and settings intact or will I need to manually setup the user accounts and point them to the folders? If done manually, are there any possible issues I need to be aware of?

Jun 14, 2021 1:59 PM in response to barteatsapples

Thanks. Yeah I knew about the splitting of system and data, but wasn’t sure if that had any bearing on keeping User home folders on an external drive. In the past it certainly was not easy to do this, but now it’s super easy. Providing it doesn’t cause anything unforeseen. :)

So if you’ve run in this configuration can you tell me if I will need to manually add the Users accounts and map them to their respective home folders or will restoring the system files take care of that? I haven’t had to restore anything in quite some time so this new arrangement gives me pause.

Steps to migrate when users folder(s) is on an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.