Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 2nd-Gen 10.5 and Spatial Audio

If my older iPad Pro 10.5 doesn't support spatial audio even when it’s connect to my Airpod Pros, why is there a setting in Music for it?

Is it really not supported even when AirPod Pros are connected? If not, it’s kind of sloppy/cruel to leave the setting in the Music settings.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 6:58 PM

Robby,

Upon reviewing the last messages, we'd like to clear up some confusion.

You are correct in saying your iPad model isn't compatible on its own when playing through the built-in speakers, but you also mentioned having AirPods Pro paired with your iPad. Per the link provided, it shows that you'll need the following:

1. An Apple Music membership
  2. An iPad model that has iPadOS 14.6 installed(your model is compatible with this version)
  3. A pair of compatible AirPods or Beats headphones listed in the same link, and you mentioned already having AirPods Pro

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all songs from the Apple Music catalog are compatible with spatial audio in Dolby Atmos. Per the details above, you'd be able to use this feature with your iPad while having your AirPods Pro paired with it. As you mentioned still having an issue with using it, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support for further help. Here's the link again just in case: Get Support

Cheers.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2021 6:58 PM in response to Robby Berman

Robby,

Upon reviewing the last messages, we'd like to clear up some confusion.

You are correct in saying your iPad model isn't compatible on its own when playing through the built-in speakers, but you also mentioned having AirPods Pro paired with your iPad. Per the link provided, it shows that you'll need the following:

1. An Apple Music membership
  2. An iPad model that has iPadOS 14.6 installed(your model is compatible with this version)
  3. A pair of compatible AirPods or Beats headphones listed in the same link, and you mentioned already having AirPods Pro

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all songs from the Apple Music catalog are compatible with spatial audio in Dolby Atmos. Per the details above, you'd be able to use this feature with your iPad while having your AirPods Pro paired with it. As you mentioned still having an issue with using it, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support for further help. Here's the link again just in case: Get Support

Cheers.

Jun 11, 2021 3:06 PM in response to Robby Berman

Hey there Robby,

We're a bit confused by what you're asking, but we'd like to help however we can to get spatial audio working with your devices.

You mentioned that your iPad doesn't support spatial audio, but it sounds like you're using one of the later models from your post.

If you're subscribed to Apple Music, along with having iPadOS 14.6 installed, you'd follow the steps under the section 'Choose how to listen to Dolby Atmos on your iPhone or iPad' here: About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music

Please keep us posted on the results after checking those details. Take care!

Jun 11, 2021 6:15 PM in response to bruno75

Hi Bruno,

Are you messing with me? You keep not *quite* answering my question. :-)

a) My iPad Pro 10.5 is definitely NOT on the list of supported devices, as I've said repeatedly. The earliest supported iPad Pro listed is the 12.9 3rd-generation model that came out in October 2018. My iPad came out in June 2017, a year earlier.

b) However, the Spatial Audio setting IS available in my Music settings in iOS 14.6. It should not be if my device doesn't support the feature. (Spatial Audio does not show up as an option among my Settings/Bluetooth/AirPods Pro/i/settings, for example.)

Either the list of supported devices is wrong, or that setting should not be available on my iPad Pro. I'm simply trying to find out if this is a programming oversight on Apple's part or if I can really do Spatial Audio on the 10.9 iPad in spite of not being on the published supported models list.

Is it even possible that the OS can't do Spatial Audio — since there's no option in my Settings/Bluetooth/Aipods Pro/i/ screen — but Apple Music CAN, since I do have the option there? Madness.

iPad Pro 2nd-Gen 10.5 and Spatial Audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.