Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to download catalina and get rid of Big sur?

Big Sur has created a big mess for my MacMini and I have to go back to Catalina. How can I do that safely?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 2:48 PM

On an Intel-based Mac: If you use Shift-Option-Command-R during startup, you're offered the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Alternatively, you can restore from a time machine backup that was made while you used Catalina.

The most common method seems to be restoring from a bootable installer. You would first have to create the bootable installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201372

And then follow the instructions to reinstall macOS onto your Mac from the bootable installer:

1. Reboot your Mac while holding down the Option key to enter the boot selection menu.
  2. Select your USB drive from the boot selection menu.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to format and reinstall macOS on your primary hard drive.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2021 2:48 PM in response to jhudgina

On an Intel-based Mac: If you use Shift-Option-Command-R during startup, you're offered the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Alternatively, you can restore from a time machine backup that was made while you used Catalina.

The most common method seems to be restoring from a bootable installer. You would first have to create the bootable installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201372

And then follow the instructions to reinstall macOS onto your Mac from the bootable installer:

1. Reboot your Mac while holding down the Option key to enter the boot selection menu.
  2. Select your USB drive from the boot selection menu.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to format and reinstall macOS on your primary hard drive.

how to download catalina and get rid of Big sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.