Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Urgent! Please help my disk

Hello, I've been so lucky to have had so much great help from Luis and Old Toad. This forum is really fantastic. As I mentioned in my previous post, I had downloaded Big Sur and had so many problems, so I was advised to do a clean install, which I did. When we installed the new Big Sur, my data was not transferred. I am tempted to downgrade to Catalina, but before doing so, I would like to understand why "Other users" is taking up so much disk space (722.16 GB). Who are these other users, or what are these volumes, and how do I get my disk space back? The disk should have plenty of space after the clean install. I am desperate to retrieve my data and get back to work. Please help me in any way you can.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 6:55 AM

bangkokcritter wrote:

I did on the other thread. Do you want me to post them here too? I only posted this new thread when I didn't hear from anyone - I also thought you had taken the day off. Remember I'm desperate.

Not exactly, no... I asked you specifically for screenshots of BOTH the Data volumes, i.e., one for each of these:

But NEVER MIND that now.

You want to delete the BOTTOM of the two:

Control-click the bottom one, showed in this image, and choose Delete APFS Volume.

But make no mistake: this is ok, and will make things a bit cleaner, but it will not solve the other issues.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2021 6:55 AM in response to bangkokcritter

bangkokcritter wrote:

I did on the other thread. Do you want me to post them here too? I only posted this new thread when I didn't hear from anyone - I also thought you had taken the day off. Remember I'm desperate.

Not exactly, no... I asked you specifically for screenshots of BOTH the Data volumes, i.e., one for each of these:

But NEVER MIND that now.

You want to delete the BOTTOM of the two:

Control-click the bottom one, showed in this image, and choose Delete APFS Volume.

But make no mistake: this is ok, and will make things a bit cleaner, but it will not solve the other issues.

Urgent! Please help my disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.