Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Message Stays UN-Deleted

I have a message in my Inbox in Mail that I have tried several times and deleted but it stays in the Inbox! (see below).

This Inbox belongs to an Exchange account; however, when I go into a browser page to check my Microsoft mail account, the message is not in that box.

It would appear then that the message was deleted in the Exchange account but it still appears in Mail on my Mac.

How do I get rid of this irksome message?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 12:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 6:21 AM

Hello BernardMR,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

It looks like you’re unable to remove a message in Mail on your Mac. We’d be happy to help.

Does this message move successfully into any other folders you have on the Mac? Or is it just happening with the trash folder?

We would first suggest quitting the Mail app entirely, restarting the Mac, and trying again.

If the message is still in your inbox and the issue persists, try starting up your Mac in safe mode. Once in safe mode, see if the message is still there or try moving it to trash. Here’s How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2021 6:21 AM in response to BernardMR

Hello BernardMR,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

It looks like you’re unable to remove a message in Mail on your Mac. We’d be happy to help.

Does this message move successfully into any other folders you have on the Mac? Or is it just happening with the trash folder?

We would first suggest quitting the Mail app entirely, restarting the Mac, and trying again.

If the message is still in your inbox and the issue persists, try starting up your Mac in safe mode. Once in safe mode, see if the message is still there or try moving it to trash. Here’s How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Take care.

Jun 15, 2021 9:41 AM in response to leahspy

I could not move the "recalcitrant" message into any other folder within the Exchange mail account.

However, I followed your suggestions and started up my Mac in safe mode. Once in safe mode, I tried deleting (it did not work), I then tried moving it to another folder within the Exchange mail account.

Finally, I moved the message to my iCloud mailbox in the inbox, then I deleted it and... it was gone.

I restarted my Mac in "normal" mode, opened Mail and I verified that the message was truly gone.

Your suggestions worked perfectly. Thank you so much.

Mail Message Stays UN-Deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.