Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change the default "move" folder in Apple Mail?

I use rules to automatically direct lots of mails to a folder where I will read them when I see fit. But my inbox still gets tons of mails that I want to see immediately. I archive lots of these mails, in a fairly large set of folders (e.g. one for each client or course). "Cleaning up" my inbox means: clicking on the "move" button and then choosing the right folder. Since Apple Mail was set up to "guess" the folder in which I would want to archive my mail, life became a lot easier: for most mails, one click was enough.

But archives tend to grow big, so I moved the larger mailboxes out of my IMAP-account and to a place on my Mac.

Unfortunately, Apple Mail keeps suggesting to send mails from a known sender to these archived mailboxes. So now, for each mail, I have to correct the suggestion and indicate the right mailbox each time. Like in the old days...

My question is : how to tell Apple Mail that I want to change its default guess?

This question has been asked here before, and supported by 217 or so other users. But it was not answered. "Mail will learn after a while...." is simply not correct: I've been waiting for months now. And "check the support page on how to work with Mail" is hardly an answer.

So thank you very much for looking into this again.

(I use an iMac with Mojave 10.14.6 to keep track of my mail.)

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 8:32 AM

Sorry to say that your answer didn't solve my question at all. I know how mail rules work and I do use them. But only for mails that I do not need to read immediately. My question was about mails that I need to arrive in the inbox first, so that I will see them immediately, and then need to be moved to the appropriate mailbox.

I love that the 'move' button guesses where I want to move my mails... Until it keeps guessing wrong.

My question was and still is: (how) can I change the way this button makes it guess?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2021 8:32 AM in response to mario49

Sorry to say that your answer didn't solve my question at all. I know how mail rules work and I do use them. But only for mails that I do not need to read immediately. My question was about mails that I need to arrive in the inbox first, so that I will see them immediately, and then need to be moved to the appropriate mailbox.

I love that the 'move' button guesses where I want to move my mails... Until it keeps guessing wrong.

My question was and still is: (how) can I change the way this button makes it guess?

Jun 15, 2021 8:12 AM in response to AristotelesMingus

Hi there AristotelesMingus,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you're experiencing issues with Mail app sorting your mail into the desired folders. The easiest way to sort your mail as desired would be to implement mail rules to sort based on specific criteria. Using mail rules in addition with settings up Smart Mailboxes could deliver the Mail setup you're expecting. Check out the steps to begin setting up your mail using the link Use rules to manage emails you receive in Mail on Mac.

Warm regards.

how to change the default "move" folder in Apple Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.