Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I avoid transferring unwanted applications from an old Mac to a new one?

I have a lot of applications on my Mac that I don't want to transfer when I get a new one. If I delete the apps on my old Mac would Migration Assistant still transfer the related fies that are scattered all over?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 9:24 PM

Yes but those files will do no harm. Run the vendor's Uninstaller first on the old Mac if you can for each application you had installed yourself. When you run Migrate Assistant, choose to transfer only files and accounts, no applications, no settings. This will also not transfer the old startup or login items.

On the new Mac, reinstall from scratch the applications you want to have there.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2021 9:24 PM in response to Kluunsi

Yes but those files will do no harm. Run the vendor's Uninstaller first on the old Mac if you can for each application you had installed yourself. When you run Migrate Assistant, choose to transfer only files and accounts, no applications, no settings. This will also not transfer the old startup or login items.

On the new Mac, reinstall from scratch the applications you want to have there.

Jun 15, 2021 10:51 PM in response to Kluunsi

I would not transfer Applications from one mac to another mac.

Only transfer your personal data from one mac to another.

On the new mac download the apps you want that way you will have the correct versions for the OS running

on the new mac and not any stray files from older app versions populating your mac that may interfere with

the newer operating system.

How do I avoid transferring unwanted applications from an old Mac to a new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.