Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I share my own uploaded music on an Apple Music Family plan?

I have Apple Music family plan. One family member has a lot of his own music in his Cloud Library. How can he share that with the rest of the family?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 9:57 AM

Hi Sten Vesterli,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! We're glad you've reached out for help with this question about sharing music between your family members. Let's go over options together.

If the songs you'd like to share were purchased in the iTunes Store, you'll want to refer to the instructions in this guide to determine if that content can be shared across accounts:

Redownload music - Apple Support

Each family member who would like to access those songs can see available past purchases from the original purchaser directly on their devices.

If the songs were originally added to the Music library on a computer by another method such as by ripping from CD's or by importing from other online sources, you'd want to share the content directly from the computer to your family member's computers. At that point, the songs can be imported into their library in the Music app, or in iTunes on a PC. With Apple Music and the option to Sync Library enabled, the songs would then appear on any their other devices that have this feature enabled.

Here's a guide with steps to help import files into Music on Mac:

Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support

And this guide is for iTunes on PC:

Import media from a computer to iTunes on PC - Apple Support

We'd also like to share this article to help ensure they've got the option to Sync Library set up on all of their devices:

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support

We're here for you if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2021 9:57 AM in response to Sten Vesterli

Hi Sten Vesterli,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! We're glad you've reached out for help with this question about sharing music between your family members. Let's go over options together.

If the songs you'd like to share were purchased in the iTunes Store, you'll want to refer to the instructions in this guide to determine if that content can be shared across accounts:

Redownload music - Apple Support

Each family member who would like to access those songs can see available past purchases from the original purchaser directly on their devices.

If the songs were originally added to the Music library on a computer by another method such as by ripping from CD's or by importing from other online sources, you'd want to share the content directly from the computer to your family member's computers. At that point, the songs can be imported into their library in the Music app, or in iTunes on a PC. With Apple Music and the option to Sync Library enabled, the songs would then appear on any their other devices that have this feature enabled.

Here's a guide with steps to help import files into Music on Mac:

Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support

And this guide is for iTunes on PC:

Import media from a computer to iTunes on PC - Apple Support

We'd also like to share this article to help ensure they've got the option to Sync Library set up on all of their devices:

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support

We're here for you if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

How do I share my own uploaded music on an Apple Music Family plan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.