Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Hello" Screen After Every Reboot

I've some users that receive the "hello" every time the phone restarts after updating to iOS 14.6.

Any ideas?

iPhone XR

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 7:35 AM

We're also starting to see this issue on the 100 iphone 12s that we rolled out to one of our departments last week. The phones still on 14.5 are fine but the ones that go to 14.6 get the hello screen with restore, language, and wifi prompts after each reboot. All of our phones are managed with MS intune. Factory resetting is not an option at that scale.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2021 7:35 AM in response to FUAdmin

We're also starting to see this issue on the 100 iphone 12s that we rolled out to one of our departments last week. The phones still on 14.5 are fine but the ones that go to 14.6 get the hello screen with restore, language, and wifi prompts after each reboot. All of our phones are managed with MS intune. Factory resetting is not an option at that scale.

Jun 23, 2021 2:56 PM in response to FUAdmin

I've had the same issue after updating to 14.6, and factory reset doesn't solve the problem. I've also tried hard resets, resetting network settings, and an Itunes reset.

I also started having an issue with Maps loosing connection when I have another app open. So I will be down the road and all of a sudden Maps doesn't know where I am and when I try to reset the app, my phone freezes.

Both of these issues started at the same time after the update. It's definitely a software issue, no problems like this previously.

Jul 15, 2021 11:02 AM in response to FUAdmin

We're starting to see this issue too now that more users are upgrading their phones to iOS 14.6. We use MobileIron and have disabled all the "Skips" during setup in our enrollment profile so it wont affect new phone deployments, however, it doesn't seem to be possible to fix it on existing phones. I backed up a user's phone today and did a factory reset, but the issue persisted after restoring the backup both via iTunes and iCloud - so it seems like the issue gets copied into the backup. Not sure how to proceed, and completely wiping the users phone is definitely not an option.

Jul 21, 2021 12:05 PM in response to FUAdmin

I'm still unable to reproduce the issue in my environment or on my personal devices. This leads me to believe it's some sort of corruption likely tied to either the update, or something with the MDM. Seeing other users experiencing the issue on their personal devices seems to narrow that down to a bad firmware.

For those experiencing the issue, would it be possible to put the device in DFU mode and reinstall the firmware from scratch?

Jul 22, 2021 1:18 AM in response to celliott147

This has been going on too long, we require a fix that is NOT restore to factory settings. I manage our company devices with jamf. When there is the next IOS update will that install and fix this? Can we somehow re-install the last IOS update to fix it? Come on Apple, this problem is too widespread hence it must be a dodgy update so it is down to you to fix via a new update ASAP.

Jul 22, 2021 11:12 AM in response to celliott147

Here's all the data I can provide for our environment

Setting up as a new device works just fine, even without doing it via DFU. Just a simple factory reset "fixed" the issue - but setting up the phone as new wasn't a valid option for us because most of our users have been here for years and cannot lose all the data on their phones. Restoring from their backup, either via iTunes or iCloud just brought the issue right back.

The issue occurred when setup steps were skipped during the enrollment of phones running versions of iOS prior to 14.6 (in our case 14.2) and then were later upgraded to 14.6. We use MobileIron and were skipping the following steps during setup:

Location Services

Move from Android

Sign in to AppleID and iCloud

Siri

Send Diagnostic Information

Apple Pay

Zoom

Display Tone

Home Button Setup

iCloud Storage

Privacy

iMessage and Facetime

Mandatory Software Update

Get Started

Rather than toggling these on/off one at a time and testing which was the culprit, we just re-enabled them all. After that, the upgrade from 14.2 to 14.6 went just fine on new phones.

Anyway, I just confirmed with three additional users that upgrading to 14.7 has resolved the issue - so it looks like whatever it was has been fixed.

"Hello" Screen After Every Reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.