Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos randomly disappeared from phone

So I was saving photos to my phone and when I checked my photos app, it crashed. I tried to open it a few times and when it stopped it crashing it said that my phone had no photos on it. I checked every folder and the recently deleted folder and nothing was there either. I tried restarting my phone multiple times and it was still having that problem, so I went to my check my phone storage to see if maybe it was just a glitch or something.

iPhone Storage showed:

Photos - 400MB, before that it was about 42GB

Other System Data - 52GB, before that it was about 10GB

So I think my photos are still somewhere on my phone in "Other System Data" but won't show up in my photos app. It was probably because I was running out of storage before this happened, which is my fault :/. I don't have any backups of my phone, and when I go to "All Photos" this shows up...

I know I'm definitely going to get a higher storage phone after this LOL

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 9:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 9:53 PM

jscangu Said:

"Photos randomly disappeared from phone: [...]So I think my photos are still somewhere on my phone in "Other System Data" but won't show up in my photos app.[...]".

-------

Clear "Other":

Clearing the storage named "Other" is indeed the way to go from here. It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips. With so much taken up, photos are being deleted as they are made. So, clearing Other should fix this.

Recovering These:

See if they reside in iCloud: https://www.icloud.com/photos

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2021 9:53 PM in response to jscangu

jscangu Said:

"Photos randomly disappeared from phone: [...]So I think my photos are still somewhere on my phone in "Other System Data" but won't show up in my photos app.[...]".

-------

Clear "Other":

Clearing the storage named "Other" is indeed the way to go from here. It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips. With so much taken up, photos are being deleted as they are made. So, clearing Other should fix this.

Recovering These:

See if they reside in iCloud: https://www.icloud.com/photos

Photos randomly disappeared from phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.