You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro screen is not working anymore

I am owner of a macbook pro 2017 and my screen is not working anymore. There is a extended warranty for the 13 inch version but not for the 15 inch model. It is a production error (flexgate) but no dealer is able to help me with this problem -unless I pay a lot of money-. Are there users with the same problem? I don't understand apple does not repair this under extended warranty because the screen is two inch wider, since the problem is a to short connection cable. This model (macbook pro 2017) has not only this production error also the keyboard problems (this problem is under extended warranty but in my case only when I pay 900 dollars for the screen repair, also a production error!). Am I am paying the price for the development errors?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 4:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 3:04 AM

I completely agree with you. I am also facing a similar issue. I have a MacBook Pro 2017 model and I am facing the same issue of black light staging defect and it does not work. I have been to apple authorized support center where they agreed that this is a manufacturing defect. But still asked me to pay 700$ which apparently should not be the case. Until and unless a huge number of people do not report this problem they will not agree to replace the screen which ideally should not be the case. If it is a product defect it should be replaced even if a single person is facing this issue. I would request Apple to please provide a free replacement for the same as they have done in case of 2016 models. Why should we pay for the product defect which is not even our fault?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 19, 2021 3:04 AM in response to HWTech

I completely agree with you. I am also facing a similar issue. I have a MacBook Pro 2017 model and I am facing the same issue of black light staging defect and it does not work. I have been to apple authorized support center where they agreed that this is a manufacturing defect. But still asked me to pay 700$ which apparently should not be the case. Until and unless a huge number of people do not report this problem they will not agree to replace the screen which ideally should not be the case. If it is a product defect it should be replaced even if a single person is facing this issue. I would request Apple to please provide a free replacement for the same as they have done in case of 2016 models. Why should we pay for the product defect which is not even our fault?

Jun 18, 2021 7:50 AM in response to StefanLeyssensBelgium

I own a 2017 MacBook Pro and my screen died early last year. It'll cost about $700 to repair. Now I'm using an external monitor and keyboard/mouse in the mirror display mode, it becomes a desktop computer.

I have used laptop over the years, be it Lenovo, Dell, ... I have never had a display issue. This is a first for a relatively new MacBookPro. Thanks, Apple.

Jun 18, 2021 5:28 PM in response to StefanLeyssensBelgium

Unfortunately Apple refuses to acknowledge the same issues exist in other USB-C Apple laptops. I have personally experienced this issue on laptops up to the 2020 model and on 15" models as well.

These are the worst designed laptops Apple has ever produced. There are even more design issues/failures than are made public. I feel sorry for all the people who have been tricked into buying these USB-C Macs based on Apple's generally respectable quality and designs of previous generations.

At this time your options are to pay Apple for the repair, or purchase another laptop. You can also see if any local consumer protection laws apply to help you out. Otherwise you can write Apple corporate a letter describing your dissatisfaction or just leave Apple product feedback here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

As long as people keep paying Apple money for this design failures Apple will keep making them since Apple users are telling Apple corporate that Apple is doing a good job. Right now this is the only thing may wake Apple up if enough people stop buying their poorly designed products, but of course enough people must do this to make Apple notice (unless of course it just causes Apple to stop making laptops).

Jun 20, 2021 8:59 AM in response to StefanLeyssensBelgium

Apple is not here on these forums. Except to spread the word to other unsuspecting users it won't change anything. When posting about these issues you just need to take care on what and how you say things so your post is not removed. Read the forum Terms of Use to make sure you are not violating any forum rules when posting:

https://discussions.apple.com/terms

If you want to attempt change, then provide feedback here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

And contact Apple corporate to let them know your concerns:

https://www.apple.com/contact/

You can also try to change the laws to make company's more responsible for these types of design defects, but these companies will spend tons of money to fight any attempts at changing laws. Just look at the right to repair movement to see how difficult it is for consumers and independent repair shops to exercise their current rights to have their own legally purchased products serviced by whomever they want. Apple and other companies are spending large amounts of money to prevent normal users & shops to get the legislators to confirm existing rights and to enforce current laws.

My MacBook Pro screen is not working anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.