Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extremely slow computer

How can I speed up my computer. It is slow for all functions. I have done an Etrecheck report

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 5:49 PM

9 replies

Jun 20, 2021 6:59 PM in response to SueLub

Welcome back to Apple Support Communities.

Please try to restart the computer. If performance is still poor, please see below.

The reason your iMac is very slow is due to the 5400 rpm hard drive. Very slow. If you use an external SSD and run macOS from that, it will make your Mac 10 to 30 times faster for storage. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

-Jack

Jun 18, 2021 7:20 PM in response to Jack-19

EtreCheckPro version: 6.4.4 (6E015)

Report generated: 2021-06-18 19:18:07

Download EtreCheckPro from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 42:05

Performance: Poor

Problem: Computer is too slow

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

Hard drive too slow - The hard drive in this computer is too slow.

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement.

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. Apple has said that unsigned software will not run by default in a future version of the operating system.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

Vintage hardware - This computer may be considered vintage.

Limited drive access - More information may be available with Full Drive Access.

Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

Sharing enabled - This computer has sharing services enabled that could be a security risk.

Hardware Information:

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) - Vintage!

iMac Model: iMac14,4

1.4 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 (i5-4260U) CPU: 2-core

8 GB RAM - Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR3 1600

BANK 1/DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR3 1600

Video Information:

Intel HD Graphics 5000 - VRAM: 1536 MB

iMac 1920 x 1080

Extremely slow computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.