Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone started disconnecting from every wifi when is locked

Hello since 4-5 days my iPhone 11 Pro started disconnecting from every wifi network when is locked, and doesn't auto-connect. When I unlock the phone it doesn't reconnect automatically to the network that it was connected to before.

I am running iOS 14.6 (my problem might as well have started since I updated to that version)

I tried:

• Forgetting the network(s) and rejoining them
  • Resetting All Network Settings to Factory settings
  • Resetting the iPhone
  • Checked and deleted all possible VPNs that might have been installed on my phone
  • The auto-join option is active for all wifi networks

Despite that the phone still does the same thing. This "bug" is pretty annoying and it even affects my battery performance as trying to connect to 4G for background app activities drains more power than wifi.

Do you know what could be the issue or how to solve it? Perhaps something I haven't tried apart of the things I listed?

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 1:07 PM

As to the iPhone dropping the WiFi network when it is not connected to power that is part of the WiFi standard.

But it should rejoin any previously trusted network upon waking it up. Click on the Get Support link on the top right of this page and see about getting your iPhone tested.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2021 1:07 PM in response to dobsyyy

As to the iPhone dropping the WiFi network when it is not connected to power that is part of the WiFi standard.

But it should rejoin any previously trusted network upon waking it up. Click on the Get Support link on the top right of this page and see about getting your iPhone tested.

Jun 21, 2021 4:21 AM in response to dobsyyy

I have the same issue with iPhone 12 Pro and iOS 14.6. Sometimes it disconnects right after unlocking the phone (I am able to see the wifi icon go away and 4g icon come). Most of the time it takes about a minute for it to reconnect despite that in the wifi settings page it shows that it is connected. See the embedded video.

This issue started to happen a few weeks ago (maybe after updating to iOS 14.6) with all wifi networks.

I don't believe that this behavior is by standard as I am using mobile data for about a minute after unlocking my phone, and if mobile data is turned off, I have no internet access.

I have tried everything the author of this topic mentioned too and it does not help. I hope that someone from Apple can look into this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl8yejkESO0

Jul 6, 2021 7:37 AM in response to deggie

That's not correct. I have the same issue with my iPhone 11 with iOS 14.6, but my wife's iPhone (exactly same model and iOS update) is not experiencing that issue. Wifi is supposed to be connected at all times if available, otherwise the background app updates would be using cellular data.

I also tried everything to fix, no luck. Next step will be to reinstalling the iOS 14.6 with the phone connected to my macbook. Let's see.

iPhone started disconnecting from every wifi when is locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.