Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do iPhone’s have something similar to an SMC?

I have an iPhone 12 mini which is charging super slowly, which I though was caused from debris in the lightning port. I bought a Mag Safe charger but nothing has improved.

Last night I put in on the charger at about 3% then woke up to only 1%. I did a hard restart and since I haven’t been bale to charge it above about 30% using either Mag Safe or the Lightning Port.

The iPhone gets very hot no matter which type of charger I use. I have tried multiple plugs and cords all of which are Apple brand.

Is there something else I should try or is Apple Support my next best option?

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 8:50 PM

If hot means pretty hot stop trying to charge it and click on the Get Support link at the top right of this page to start the service process.

3 replies

Jun 21, 2021 5:28 PM in response to Scott-he-him

Thank you both. I ended up chatting Apple Support before seeing your replies. The diagnostics report revealed no issues with any hardware or software but they gave recommendations incase the rare event of diagnostic software giving a false good report and to see if I can resolve the issue.

They recommended a force restart to start then if still happening using Recovery Mode to reinstall iOS using my computer, then recontacting them if the issue persisted.

I have not been able to do the Recovery Mode reinstall yet because my MacBook Pro does not have USB-C. I am likely going to take it in for service at an Apple Store. The issue has become intermittent but last night it got so hot the iPhone displayed the temperature warning and told me to take it to a cooler location. The issue seems more common in Low Power Mode but I am not sure if that is the culprit.

Do iPhone’s have something similar to an SMC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.