Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install an OS on a Mac where the HD was totalled and there is no backup

I have a iMac late 2009-2011 which was surplus to requirements. The hard disk failed and had to be replaced. Now I have a use for this iMac but I don't have an OS installed or to install.

The last OS that was installed was Mountain Lion but I don't have an installer disk and so how do I get an OS to install and what do I need to do?

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 6:01 AM

I have a iMac late 2009-2011 ...

The exact model designation is relevant. Mid 2010 iMac and later models can use OS X Internet Recovery. Earlier models cannot.

If your iMac is too old to use Internet Recovery you need to boot from some other device—a bootable (USB, for example) installer or NetBoot.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

Create a NetBoot, NetInstall, or NetRestore volume

Of course both of those options require another Mac.

The simplest way to determine if that iMac can use Internet Recovery is to try it. If it doesn't work and you don't have another Mac then you need that iMac's original, grey, Mac OS X Install DVD that shipped with mid-2011 and earlier models, and needs to accompany it from cradle to grave.

If you lost that DVD, then you need to obtain a retail, white, Snow Leopard Install DVD.

Apple no longer sells them but legitimate aftermarket sources exist. They are not cheap.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2021 6:01 AM in response to peter.adam

I have a iMac late 2009-2011 ...

The exact model designation is relevant. Mid 2010 iMac and later models can use OS X Internet Recovery. Earlier models cannot.

If your iMac is too old to use Internet Recovery you need to boot from some other device—a bootable (USB, for example) installer or NetBoot.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

Create a NetBoot, NetInstall, or NetRestore volume

Of course both of those options require another Mac.

The simplest way to determine if that iMac can use Internet Recovery is to try it. If it doesn't work and you don't have another Mac then you need that iMac's original, grey, Mac OS X Install DVD that shipped with mid-2011 and earlier models, and needs to accompany it from cradle to grave.

If you lost that DVD, then you need to obtain a retail, white, Snow Leopard Install DVD.

Apple no longer sells them but legitimate aftermarket sources exist. They are not cheap.

How to install an OS on a Mac where the HD was totalled and there is no backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.