Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook asks for administrator when shutting down

Problem setting down or restarting or force quit MacBook

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 8:51 AM

Quote:

Important: You can force a shutdown if necessary—for example, if your Mac becomes unresponsive—by pressing and holding the power button until your Mac shuts down. You may lose unsaved changes in open documents.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/log-out-sleep-wake-restart-or-shut-down-mchlp2522/mac

Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Quote:

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans, and other features.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2021 8:51 AM in response to pulpman

Quote:

Important: You can force a shutdown if necessary—for example, if your Mac becomes unresponsive—by pressing and holding the power button until your Mac shuts down. You may lose unsaved changes in open documents.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/log-out-sleep-wake-restart-or-shut-down-mchlp2522/mac

Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Quote:

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans, and other features.

Jun 20, 2021 9:02 AM in response to dominic23

I tried to force quit by holding down the power button for about 20 seconds but it would not shut down.

when I try to restart or shutdown or force quit, a pop up appears asking for administrator name or I’d and password.

I tried Apple ID info and MacBook password and my internet provider but no good.

I don’t know who or what the administrater is! What else do you suggest?

MacBook asks for administrator when shutting down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.