Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an iPad Pro 10.5 running 14.6 and my magnetic cover doesn't work anymore

I have a magnetic cover I bought from Apple that used to shut off my iPad when I closed it. At some point in the recent past that stopped working. I have done nothing to the cover or the settings to disable this feature. The only thing that has changed is a couple of iOS updates. I verified that none of the settings that affect this had been changed by the updates. I've read people suggesting that the magnetics in the cover somehow mysteriously became misaligned. Didn't happen. It has to be a bug in the latest iOS version(s).

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 5:58 AM

Whilst I cannot offer an explanation for your particular problem, other than suggest a potential fault, I can offer assurance that recent iPadOS updates have not universally broken this functionality. I have two iPad’s Pro 10.5” within immediately reach, with covers, that operate iPad screen locking entirely as expected.

If you are unable to test your cover with another iPad, or substitute the cover, you will need to seek assistance directly from Apple. Your best source of diagnostic assistance will be a visit to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and cover.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

If your instead contact Apple Support, the ability to diagnose this type of difficulty will be considerably more limited. Should you choose to do so, Apple Support can be reached using the Get Support link at top-right of this page - or by using the Apple Support App:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2021 5:58 AM in response to MikeJA1260

Whilst I cannot offer an explanation for your particular problem, other than suggest a potential fault, I can offer assurance that recent iPadOS updates have not universally broken this functionality. I have two iPad’s Pro 10.5” within immediately reach, with covers, that operate iPad screen locking entirely as expected.

If you are unable to test your cover with another iPad, or substitute the cover, you will need to seek assistance directly from Apple. Your best source of diagnostic assistance will be a visit to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and cover.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

If your instead contact Apple Support, the ability to diagnose this type of difficulty will be considerably more limited. Should you choose to do so, Apple Support can be reached using the Get Support link at top-right of this page - or by using the Apple Support App:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

I have an iPad Pro 10.5 running 14.6 and my magnetic cover doesn't work anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.