Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro - Installing latest updates and the system is hanging

Hi, just tried installing updates, I am not totally sure exactly what, possibly to Big Sur.

I have powered down and up a few times. I can get to the login screen and then when I log in I get this

My mac is just sitting with black screen, apple and the progress bar at about 1/3 complete and the message "Your Mac will restart when update complete"

Any advice on how to remedy or go back to the pre-updated version? Thanks Chris

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 2:11 AM

Shutdown the computer and dissonant all external drives. Connect to charger. Restart in Safe Mode It does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and only loads Apple Software, extensions and fonts >> slow loads slowly - Normal. This process may or may not allow the upgrade process to complete. If Yes, Setup Assist of Big Sur will be presented.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2021 2:11 AM in response to CeeRod

Shutdown the computer and dissonant all external drives. Connect to charger. Restart in Safe Mode It does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and only loads Apple Software, extensions and fonts >> slow loads slowly - Normal. This process may or may not allow the upgrade process to complete. If Yes, Setup Assist of Big Sur will be presented.

MacBook Pro - Installing latest updates and the system is hanging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.