Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t add aol mail account to ipad

When adding AOL account into the mail app on iPad I get error message that imap user name or password for imap.aol.com is incorrect.

that is not true. I can log in from a web browser with the same username and password and works just fine.

what changed and how do I fix it?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 7:57 AM

3 replies

Jun 22, 2021 8:12 AM in response to tmrbar1906

Does your AOL email account use two-step verification for security? If so, you may need to enter an app-specific password, instead of your normal password, to access this account from your iPad.

This is how you would do it for AOL:

1. Sign onto AOL Mail on the web
  2. Options > Account Information > Account Security > Manage App Passwords
  3. Select Your App > Mac Mail
  4. Generate

-- credit: Rod Miller (ASC)

Ref: Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

Jun 22, 2021 12:06 PM in response to tmrbar1906

tmrbar1906 Said:

"Can’t add aol mail account to ipad: When adding AOL account into the mail app on iPad I get error message that imap user name or password for imap.aol.com is incorrect. that is not true. I can log in from a web browser with the same username and password and works just fine. what changed and how do I fix it?"

-------

Use a New App Password:

Do you use an App Password? If so, try a new App Password. Sometime changes (i.e. updates) are made to the Mac, and then mail server syncing becomes an issue (which is what a new App Password it intended for). See how AOL Uses it: As an example, here is how AOL uses an app password. Go Here: Create and Manage Third-Party App Passwords - AOL Help

Can’t add aol mail account to ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.