Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple software compatibility with open source file formats (Big Sur)

Hello.

As a tech enthusiast, I have acquired my own copy of the latest MacBook Air on its revolutionary ARM chip earlier this year.

As a FLOSS aficionado however, I have had to think twice in order to carefully consider my move before deciding to engage with this giant in the industry that is Apple. I know that there is a history of cooperation with the FreeBSD development community among other things.

I am delightfully pleased with the OS's smooth desktop environment, application integration, and overall ergonomy for which I feel Apple deserves its reputation.

However, I may have failed to anticipate quite a disappointment : despite owing a great amount to the effort of open source software and open standards (being a recipient of the UNIX trademark certification), Apple does not provide inter-operability with open formats such as ODT (despite there being the open document format specification), OGG and FLAC.

I wish I could use the OS and apps decently with my own files and preferences.

I wish I could edit my documents with the elegant Pages app.

I wish I could enjoy my music library with the smooth Music app.

In what concerns the most pressing.

Is there a workaround ?

I am afraid I will have to end up relying on KDE's Calligra and Elisa through the brew package manager, which would be quite an absurdity when equivalent software is native on Big Sur...

Is there a reason why Apple would not promote such inter-operability ? Lack of interest or motivation ? No developers to be assigned to the task ? Or is it the will to dominate a market...

Thank you for reading and perhaps providing an answer to help.

Sylvain

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 2:30 AM

To ask Apple to add the features you want, go to

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 23, 2021 4:57 AM in response to sylvainsab

Owning a Mac does not require you to exclusively use Apple applications. The free LibreOffice is on top of the OpenDocument standard and will handle those document standards nicely. As they use their own PDF library, exports to PDF offer PDF/UA and selectable PDF/A versions through 3b.

Brew on Apple Silicon (M1) expects /opt/homebrew presence, not /usr/local/homebrew, you will need a different adjustment to your PATH placing /opt/homebrew/bin first, and it will force the installation of the Command-line tools for Xcode 12 as a prerequisite for its arm64 compilations.

We are fellow users and have no knowledge of Apple's internal business and product team planning process. They designed the operating system and applications for their typical customer who is not focused on Open Source integration.

Jun 24, 2021 10:31 AM in response to VikingOSX

@VikingOSX My bad, I didn't know this was a strictly user-based forum. I thought Apple's official staff could provide answers as well.

I know that I am not required to exclusively use Apple applications, but I wish I could, because there are native apps provided that by definition would be better integrated than third-party apps. I purchased a mac also for the smoothness of the desktop environment and app integration, and I feel other apps would kind of alter this.

Thanks for providing details about homebrew. Upon checking, my PATH variable already uses /opt/homebrew/bin first, although I have been unable to use the rtorrent, calligra and youtube-download yet which I have attempted to install.

Apple software compatibility with open source file formats (Big Sur)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.