Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Air 4 doesn’t work with Rode NT USB microphone

The RODE NT-USB when connected to my brand new 4th generation iPad pro through the apple usb-c to USB adapter, does not work. The adapter is brand new as well and so is the mic is less. When plugged in, it powers the mic, but the ipad doesn’t recognize the mic and is using the internal mic for recording and audio output. I’m desperate for a fix! It’s mentioned as being compatible with iPad but iPad Air is not connecting with it. This is the recommended mic for iPads.

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 9:19 AM

Hello anjalinanda,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you are encountering some issues with using a 3rd party microphone with your iPad. We are happy to help provide some guidance on this.

To start, we would want to make sure that the Microphone is compatible for use with your iPad. For the most accurate information on that, we would recommend reaching out to the manufacturer.

However. we would like to see if the microphone works in the GarageBand app on the iPad, which does have support for use with external microphone devices. If you open the GarageBand app on the iPad and connect the microphone, does it show up for use in the app?

Use the Audio Recorder in GarageBand for iPad

Keep us updated!

Best Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2021 9:19 AM in response to anjalinanda

Hello anjalinanda,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you are encountering some issues with using a 3rd party microphone with your iPad. We are happy to help provide some guidance on this.

To start, we would want to make sure that the Microphone is compatible for use with your iPad. For the most accurate information on that, we would recommend reaching out to the manufacturer.

However. we would like to see if the microphone works in the GarageBand app on the iPad, which does have support for use with external microphone devices. If you open the GarageBand app on the iPad and connect the microphone, does it show up for use in the app?

Use the Audio Recorder in GarageBand for iPad

Keep us updated!

Best Regards.

Jun 24, 2021 5:14 PM in response to brianj123

Hi There,

Thanks for responding. I went to the store from where I bought the microphone yesterday, with my iPad and showed them how the microphone isn't being recognised by the iPad. I had tested this on Garage band. As per the manufacturer the microphone has been designed to work with the iPad(explicitly mentions this). But it appears that it is no longer compatible with the latest iPads. We tried other microphones of the same model but they didn't work either. There was another newer microphone from the same manufacturer, rode nt usb mini, which I found might work though it didn't mention anything about being compatible with iPads and I requested them to test it and surprisingly it worked.

So the issue is with the Rode NT Usb microphone. Users can get the rode nt usb mini instead. The former mic, no longer supports the latest iPads and many folks are going to be unhappy the moment they upgrade to the latest iPad, like I did. You're not at fault, but Rode needs to upgrade their hardware/software.

Regards,

Anjali

IPad Air 4 doesn’t work with Rode NT USB microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.