Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invalid Email when updating existing email password

I've seen lots of similar questions about this topic but nothing that addresses this specific issue.

I have a long standing email account in my iPhone which has been working fine up to now. I finally changed the password after putting it off for too long and am now hitting a brick wall (not literally... yet).

I am able to go to the Email Account settings and pull up my details. I show a Password in the Incoming Server section and make my update there. When saving, I get an error message saying - Invalid Email Address: Please enter a valid email address for this account.

Again this is an already established account, the email address is valid. It's also NOT my primary Apple Email address. In fact, I changed that one yesterday and had no issues. Any suggestions?

iPhone SE

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 10:55 AM

My email provider's documentation explains the happy path which did not work, thus prompting this thread. I didn't have it in me to send them a request for assistance, wait a week and get a reply saying I should contact my phone provider (insert string of vulgarities here). Plus I don't want to use their recommended IOS app. For now I prefer to use the native Mail app.

I found a tip that is apparently somewhat common and it ended up working for me. Hopefully it helps someone else in the future. I "simply" deleted the entire account on my phone and re-added it with the new password. That was it. Definitely a convoluted way to update a password and I still blame the IOS for not at least coming up with a better error message.

Up to you if you want to eat that crow.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2021 10:55 AM in response to razmee209

My email provider's documentation explains the happy path which did not work, thus prompting this thread. I didn't have it in me to send them a request for assistance, wait a week and get a reply saying I should contact my phone provider (insert string of vulgarities here). Plus I don't want to use their recommended IOS app. For now I prefer to use the native Mail app.

I found a tip that is apparently somewhat common and it ended up working for me. Hopefully it helps someone else in the future. I "simply" deleted the entire account on my phone and re-added it with the new password. That was it. Definitely a convoluted way to update a password and I still blame the IOS for not at least coming up with a better error message.

Up to you if you want to eat that crow.

Jun 23, 2021 2:01 PM in response to Sproink

Sproink wrote:

I've seen lots of similar questions about this topic but nothing that addresses this specific issue.

I have a long standing email account in my iPhone which has been working fine up to now. I finally changed the password after putting it off for too long and am now hitting a brick wall (not literally... yet).

I am able to go to the Email Account settings and pull up my details. I show a Password in the Incoming Server section and make my update there. When saving, I get an error message saying - Invalid Email Address: Please enter a valid email address for this account.

Again this is an already established account, the email address is valid. It's also NOT my primary Apple Email address. In fact, I changed that one yesterday and had no issues. Any suggestions?

Start by contacting your mail provider or looking at their support site.

Jun 24, 2021 8:49 AM in response to Sproink

Sproink wrote:

I don't see how this would help. I successfully changed my email password on the provider site and can access it fine with a PC email app. And again, it's not a new email account. This is an iPhone problem. That's why I came to an Apple support site.

Is that what your email provider said when you contacted? I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

Invalid Email when updating existing email password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.