Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music corrupt

Having a lot is problems getting Music to work on my 16" MBP running 11.4

It opens in iTunes mode, does not show Listen Now, Browse or Radio menu options.

Here is what I did to try and remedy the situation.

Logged out and back in of my account with reboot

Started in safe mode

Pram reset

Reinstall OS 11.4

The reinstall brought the system back to almost normal, but selecting Listen Now option opens Browse window, selecting Artists reverts entire app to iTunes mode.

Created a new TEST user and the app works perfectly.

It appears Music is baked into the OS, is there a preferences file I can trash and restart?

Maybe my lbrary is corrupt?

One other little weirdness, it keeps duplicating one of my playlists.

BTW, Music works perfect on my iPhone

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 5:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 12:17 PM

Hello Gary Hawkey, 

It sounds to us like when you’re launching the Music app in your user that it’s not recognizing your Apple Music subscription and while you’re able to purchase music, you’re not able to navigate the Apple Music catalog or your library. Do we have that right? 

You’ve taken some great isolation steps. When you were booted to safe mode, were the issues still there? If you start a new library in your user, by quitting the Music app and then relaunching holding the Option key, do the issues persist? 

Thanks. 

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2021 12:17 PM in response to Gary Hawkey

Hello Gary Hawkey, 

It sounds to us like when you’re launching the Music app in your user that it’s not recognizing your Apple Music subscription and while you’re able to purchase music, you’re not able to navigate the Apple Music catalog or your library. Do we have that right? 

You’ve taken some great isolation steps. When you were booted to safe mode, were the issues still there? If you start a new library in your user, by quitting the Music app and then relaunching holding the Option key, do the issues persist? 

Thanks. 

Jun 24, 2021 2:30 PM in response to Gary Hawkey

Gary Hawkey, 

You've already started a new library if you followed those steps. What will happen is your old library will still exist, but a new library has been created. To get back to your old library, should any data be needed from there, you'll just quit and launch with the Option key again. If you wish to delete the library entirely you'll want to remove the iTunes Media and '.itl' files from their location. By default, your music is stored in: Home/Music/

Let us know if this leaves any questions.

Music corrupt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.