Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Consequences of upgrading Mac Pro 10.6.8 ?

Hi all, I have a 2010 Mac Pro (yes 12 years old and still brilliant!) 2x 2.4 quad-Core Intel Xeon which is perfect for all my design needs and runs wonderfully apart from browsers being out of date and any new utilities not being able to install.

I have avoided upgrading the OS 10.6.8 for many years for fear of my existing applications no longer being compatible. I use InDesign / Photoshop / Illustrator etc. (CS 5.1) which are all original applications that I bought and still have the install DVD's - they all do as much as I need and it has meant that I haven't had to subscribe to Adobe to use these applications.

Can anyone advise me as to the pitfalls of me upgrading my OS to above 10.6.8? I am worried that none of my existing applications will be compatible and that I will be forced into subscribing for them.

I don't want to sound like a meanie miser, but why pay for something again if it does everything I need!

Any advise or experience anyone has that they can share with me will be very gratefully received.

Matt

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 8:31 AM

You already enumerated the issues -- that none of your Apps will be available without upgrading.

If you have at least 8GB of real RAM, I suggest you consider moving up to 10.11 El Capitan to "get into the modern world". That would give you some ability for Internet access, but security updates are not available for MacOS that old, so resist the temptation to use it for financial transactions of any kind.

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2021 8:31 AM in response to Malailatt

You already enumerated the issues -- that none of your Apps will be available without upgrading.

If you have at least 8GB of real RAM, I suggest you consider moving up to 10.11 El Capitan to "get into the modern world". That would give you some ability for Internet access, but security updates are not available for MacOS that old, so resist the temptation to use it for financial transactions of any kind.

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Consequences of upgrading Mac Pro 10.6.8 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.