Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to upgrade OS to run iMovie

I just bought my first Mac, a refurbished 2015 to make movies on. Since iMovies was not already installed I tried though the App Store only to be told that I need to upgrade the OS. I am currently upgrading to the newest Monterey knowing that it wants me to install Big Surgery since it's calling for 11.5.1 for iMovies, which I haven't been able to do yet. I see that there are some temporary issues going on with upgrades. Should I be patient and wait for that issue to be resolved or is there a way I can download a compatible version of iMovies for Monterey?

Thanks in advance,

sandbear

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 10:40 AM

Upgrading to Monterey will allow you to obtain current iMovie. If you can upgrade now I would go ahead and do it. However, there might be some problem updating iMovie to a refurbished Mac, since whatever version of iMovie 10 that is or was on it was acquired with an Apple I.D different than yours. Doesn't hurt to try and see, though.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 10:40 AM in response to sandbear

Upgrading to Monterey will allow you to obtain current iMovie. If you can upgrade now I would go ahead and do it. However, there might be some problem updating iMovie to a refurbished Mac, since whatever version of iMovie 10 that is or was on it was acquired with an Apple I.D different than yours. Doesn't hurt to try and see, though.

-- Rich

Unable to upgrade OS to run iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.