Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HBO max double charge

HBO max double charge. I just noticed that I’m being double charged for HBO, under my subscriptions, I was charged for HBO max and for HBO through Apple TV. I believe this started when the HBO max app was released. I was told that my previous HBO subscription would automatically be canceled when the HBO max subscription is activated. I would like to request a refund for double paying. Does anyone know how to do this?

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 2:56 PM

Hey there, Zoserman,

Thank you for visiting the Apple Support Communities about your subscriptions. If we understand, you are seeing two charges for HBO services. We are happy to help!

Reviewing the screenshot you shared, it looks like you have two separate subscriptions for HBO services: HBO on Apple TV, and HBO Max.

HBO on Apple TV is an older service, and HBO announced its discontinuation last year when they announced the release of HBO Max. Customers with an existing subscription to HBO on Apple TV are able to continue using the service, however it is no longer updated with newer content. Because of this, we recommend cancelling the subscription following the steps in the article you came to the communities from, How to cancel a subscription from Apple - Apple Support. This will ensure you are only billed for one HBO service moving forward.

Happy watching!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2021 2:56 PM in response to Zoserman

Hey there, Zoserman,

Thank you for visiting the Apple Support Communities about your subscriptions. If we understand, you are seeing two charges for HBO services. We are happy to help!

Reviewing the screenshot you shared, it looks like you have two separate subscriptions for HBO services: HBO on Apple TV, and HBO Max.

HBO on Apple TV is an older service, and HBO announced its discontinuation last year when they announced the release of HBO Max. Customers with an existing subscription to HBO on Apple TV are able to continue using the service, however it is no longer updated with newer content. Because of this, we recommend cancelling the subscription following the steps in the article you came to the communities from, How to cancel a subscription from Apple - Apple Support. This will ensure you are only billed for one HBO service moving forward.

Happy watching!

Aug 13, 2021 11:23 PM in response to Zoserman

You can ask the Apple Support staff for a refund for the Channel subscription, for the days after the ending of that service, if you haven’t been credited already.

Request a refund for apps or content that you bought from Apple - Apple Support

Apple TV app HBO Channel ends per 2021-07-22 - Apple Insider

Who is the the app developer?

For the Apple TV app HBO Channel, that would be Apple.

For the HBO Max app, that would be HBO/Warner Media.

Jul 12, 2021 5:57 PM in response to Lindsay_B.

Lindsay_B,

Yes that is a canned answer. To clarify this same issue happened to me more than once on more than one streaming app. I attempted to watch a show via Apple TV which prompted me to try a “free trial” to which I would be billed afterwards if I didn’t cancel. Aka forced to start an account to steam a show for which I already paid and subscribed to via Amazon Prime. I am tech savvy and when I subscribe to a video streaming app using my email address and then use various platforms to access that streaming app using the same email address why is it not recognized. In other words why is it even possible to open two different accounts, one via Amazon prime and one via Apple TV both using the same email address. As such I have been double billed for HBO Max and AMC+ for this same reason. How is it even possible? I guarantee others make the same mistake and who knows how many millions are being collected and “double billed” for the same service same app same email address just using different devices / user interfaces to access? Guarantee that hbo AMC and many others are double billing customers and collecting millions of dollars. Which means that since they are collecting millions of dollars someone is aware of it and actively doing nothing to stop from overcharging customers. How is it that some apps say “that email is already associated with an account” but when it comes to paid subscription based video streaming applications they seem to have disabled or intentionally do not use this same protocol? I’d appreciate a response on how it’s physically possible to be charged twice for the same email address accessing the streaming service and why no one is stopping it? I will pull all the evidence and screen shots I have and send the packet to the news and authorities to see if their interested in running a story on it.

Aug 13, 2021 8:11 PM in response to muguy

Who is the the app developer? Will they refund the double charge?

This was not two separate services, rather HBO launched their app to replace the Apple TV HBO app. Upon signing up for the replacement HBO app, a notice popped up that stated expressly that the prior subscription would automatically be REPLACED by the new HBO app account; presumably to avoid this exact problem.

i believe this had to do with whether 3rd party’s wanted to be paid through apple or directly from their subscribers.

Either way, wide spread double billing to apple consumers is a PROBLEM that won’t be resolved in a “discussion” thread, only through reimbursement of the amount overcharged. Apple and HBO need to work it out between each other, since their misleading launch notice and launch caused my financial harm.

Aug 14, 2021 12:02 PM in response to Urquhart1244

It’s bogus and it is the responsibility of HBO. You think they don’t have a master list of email addresses payment methods and accounts? The software should automatically block you from opening two billing accounts with the same exact account information and devices using the service. They are aware of it and profiting millions off of it. If you think it is not intentional or user error then you are naive.

HBO max double charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.