Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Western Digital Passport for Mac

I need to ask if there are any known problems using WD Passport with Big Sur 11.4. When I look into System report I can see the Passport is connected, and is the same when I look in Disc Utility. I also check the drive status in WD security and it passes the status test. But when I press Back Up Now in Time Machine I get the message the disc is not available and under more info it says it is not connected.

I have tried different cables and different USB ports to no avail.

This is the 2nd Passport from Western Digital. The first one backed up a few times before becoming eratic

and the packed up altogether. There had been a few OS updates between first use of the Passport and it failing. WD replaced the drive which came all the way from Poland to the UK

I first bought a Passport to use with a Mac Mini some years ago and it worked a treat. I am puzzled as to why this is giving such grief.

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 7:09 AM

"Erase" means to reformat.

From

Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support

"Time Machine can back up to an external drive connected to a USB,

Thunderbolt, or FireWire port on your Mac. If the disk isn't using the

correct format, Time Machine will prompt you to erase it. "

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 25, 2021 6:54 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Hi Keith, thanks so much for your reply. I went into System preferences as you suggested and there were 2 passports for Mac. The old one which I removed and then it told me to erase the data on the new one, which puzzled me a little as there was nothing on it as far as I know. The was a warning that if I went ahead I could not retrieve any deleted data. So with heart in mouth I hit erase and after a few moments it started to backup. I just need to wait a few hours for it to complete.

As far as I remember the instructions for the Passport for Mac had no reformatting instruction. I now just need to see if it works reliably. Thanks again

Western Digital Passport for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.