Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel_task running 100% which is throttling the MacBook Air

Thanks in advance for any and all help. My MacBook Air has come to a crawl because the kernel_task is running at 100%+. I have researched this issue extensively and have decided on following the guide listed here (https://grafxflow.co.uk/blog/mac-os-x/delete-ioplatformpluginfamilykext-macos-big-sur) and accept the risks. The only issue is I can't get past step 3. In particular this step:

Next make it writable which will require you to enter your password - the /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\ 1 could be different.

sudo mount -uw /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\ 1

When I enter that command I get the following error. "unknown special file or file system"

FYI Diskutil list shows this in case I picking the wrong disk in previous step

diskutil mount disk1s5
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.3 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI ⁨EFI⁩                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk1⁩         500.1 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +500.1 GB   disk1
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume ⁨HD - Data⁩               152.9 GB   disk1s1
   2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 282.2 MB   disk1s2
   3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                622.1 MB   disk1s3
   4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      1.1 GB     disk1s4
   5:                APFS Volume ⁨HD⁩                      15.3 GB    disk1s5
   6:              APFS Snapshot ⁨com.apple.os.update-...⁩ 15.3 GB    disk1s5s1

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 12:34 PM

Thank you so much for your reply... I figured I was doing something very silly. So would the correct entry be "sudo mount -uw /Volumes/HD" because unfortunately I get the following error. "unknown special file or file system /Volumes/HD"

Did you run the mount command on the disk which was the step prior? I'm not sure what the necessary steps are because that tutorial left out a lot of details. Like which disk you are looking for. It may not necessarily be disk1s5, but in your case it I think that is what they are looking for.

My guess is that will mount the volume again, and that is why you would get "Macintosh HD 1" or in your case "HD 1" mounted at /Volumes. So, try:

sudo mount -uw "/Volumes/HD 1"

That is identical to:

sudo mount -uw /Volumes/HD\ 1

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2021 12:34 PM in response to erik10001

Thank you so much for your reply... I figured I was doing something very silly. So would the correct entry be "sudo mount -uw /Volumes/HD" because unfortunately I get the following error. "unknown special file or file system /Volumes/HD"

Did you run the mount command on the disk which was the step prior? I'm not sure what the necessary steps are because that tutorial left out a lot of details. Like which disk you are looking for. It may not necessarily be disk1s5, but in your case it I think that is what they are looking for.

My guess is that will mount the volume again, and that is why you would get "Macintosh HD 1" or in your case "HD 1" mounted at /Volumes. So, try:

sudo mount -uw "/Volumes/HD 1"

That is identical to:

sudo mount -uw /Volumes/HD\ 1

Jun 27, 2021 9:13 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

Jeffreythefrog-

Actually this is not the case at all. I have been amazed at how helpful and concerned everyone is my computer's safety. This was really just the result of my computer barely being useable and didn't realize I double posted (on the initial post it just kept spinning after I hit submit). Also if you notice this post was actually posted right before my other post... It was really just an accident.

Thanks,

ET

Jun 27, 2021 9:23 AM in response to erik10001

understood. mistakes happen. i have yet to meet a perfect person. (that includes me) i just made the above reply because double posts can be confusing for the people replying, and facts can be lost between the two posts. if it appears i was being condescending, that was not my intent. it was mostly so the other respondent here had the needed info to properly help you. i can see how my comment could be taken negatively, and for that, i do apologize.

Kernel_task running 100% which is throttling the MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.