Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel_task running 100% which is throttling the MacBook Air

Thanks in advance for any and all help. My MacBook Air has come to a crawl because the kernel_task is running at 100%+. I have researched this issue extensively and have decided on following the guide listed here (https://grafxflow.co.uk/blog/mac-os-x/delete-ioplatformpluginfamilykext-macos-big-sur) and accept the risks.

The only issue is I can't get past step 3. In particular this step:

Next make it writable which will require you to enter your password - the /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\ 1 could be different.

sudo mount -uw /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\ 1

When I enter that command I get the following error. "unknown special file or file system"

FYI Diskutil list shows this in case I picking the wrong disk in previous step

diskutil mount disk1s5
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.3 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI ⁨EFI⁩                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk1⁩         500.1 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +500.1 GB   disk1
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume ⁨HD - Data⁩               152.9 GB   disk1s1
   2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 282.2 MB   disk1s2
   3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                622.1 MB   disk1s3
   4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      1.1 GB     disk1s4
   5:                APFS Volume ⁨HD⁩                      15.3 GB    disk1s5
   6:              APFS Snapshot ⁨com.apple.os.update-...⁩ 15.3 GB    disk1s5s1

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 9:39 AM

first off, regular restarts are recommended. (at least every few days) also, you should update big sur to version 11.4.

then you should address these serious issues.

after that, you should try to identify and remove these files.

once you've done all of that test your mac and see where you are at. if necessary run another EtreCheck and report back here.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2021 9:39 AM in response to erik10001

first off, regular restarts are recommended. (at least every few days) also, you should update big sur to version 11.4.

then you should address these serious issues.

after that, you should try to identify and remove these files.

once you've done all of that test your mac and see where you are at. if necessary run another EtreCheck and report back here.

Jun 26, 2021 9:02 AM in response to erik10001

Rereading your initial post, I have to say that you should not follow this sort of instructions unless you have some understanding of what is involved. These are dangerous things and could result in your mac failing to start.

The instructions are trying to have you modify components of the OS, without any clear reason.

I will go over the Etrecheck report but I feel I had to warn you. There is not even any hint that whatever the purported process was trying to “fix” had anything to do with your issue.

Jun 26, 2021 9:30 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis-

I truly appreciate your help and the warning. I understand what I was attempting to do is extreme and probably has less than a 10% chance of actually working. So if after reading the etrecheck report you have a better idea I am all ears. I have tried about 20 other less intensive "fixes" I found on the internet without any improvement. I figured I would give it one last try before I gave up and got a new computer. My understanding is if my issue was a failed sensor this "fix" work trick the computer in operating normally without throttling. Obviously its a large risk because if it wasn't just a sensor (or was doing something else bad), I would essentially be frying my computer.

Thanks for any and all help!

ET

Jun 26, 2021 10:46 AM in response to erik10001

yes, i agree, the security being disabled may not be the root of the issue. but you'd do well to re-enable them. to me, having those things disabled is like running through a cactus patch naked. :) also, i've noticed in a previous post you've mentioned the possibility of a new machine and your concern of carrying over the current issues to it. in that case i would recommend MANUALLY moving anything on your current machine that you want to keep onto an external drive. do not transfer apps or accounts. on the new machine, run the setup assistant first, and then you can reload any of the files you want onto the new machine. and at that point you can also re-download any applications you need. and, FWIW, you could leave your lesser used data on the external drive. i think the above approach would be your best bet.

Kernel_task running 100% which is throttling the MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.