Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ominous "warnings" in Disk Utility even after reinstalling Ventura

Not sure what's going on with my MacBook air, which is behaving erratically, freezing during videoconferencing and sometimes going unresponsive, requiring a reboot. I ran first aid and got a lot of warnings "i node" "Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file" "internal flags". After a lot of investigating, I decided to remove the Microsoft OneDrive application, because I don't use it anyway, and reinstall Ventura OS. I ran first aid again, and most of the warnings seem to have disappeared, but four of them remain. Is there anything else I can do to resolve these warnings? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me.

Running First Aid on “Macintosh HD - Data” (disk1s1)

Verifying the startup volume will cause this computer to stop responding.

Verifying file system.

Volume could not be unmounted.

Using live mode.

Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1

Checking the container superblock.

Checking the checkpoint with transaction ID 14185648.

Checking the EFI jumpstart record.

Checking the space manager.

Checking the space manager free queue trees.

Checking the object map.

Checking the encryption key structures.

Checking volume /dev/rdisk1s1.

Checking the APFS volume superblock.

The volume Macintosh HD - Data was formatted by newfs_apfs (945.200.84) and last modified by apfs_kext (2142.41.2).

Checking the object map.

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

Checking the snapshot metadata.

Checking snapshot 1 of 1 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2022-11-19-131650.local)

warning: inode (id 76312475): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

warning: inode (id 77416371): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

Checking the document ID tree.

Checking the fsroot tree.

warning: inode (id 76312475): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

warning: inode (id 77416371): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

Checking the extent ref tree.

Verifying volume object map space.

Verifying allocated space.

The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 appears to be OK.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 6:10 PM

Regarding the "Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file" warnings, these may be related to Spotlight index files. For me I was able to uncover these as follows:

1. Reboot MacOS into Recovery Mode
  2. Open Disk Utility, mount the Data volume and quit Disk Utility
  3. Launch the Terminal in Recovery Mode
  4. Search for the file by inode id with the following command:
find /Volumes/Data/ -inum ########

(where ######## is the inode id number of the file)

Now in your results you may find the file but for me there were no results but a few errors like:

/Volumes/Data/.Spotlight-V100: No such file or directory

So to get around this I searched directly within the directories they say didn't exist as follows:

find /Volumes/Data/.Spotlight-V100 -inum ########

Once I did that I was able to find each of the files within the Spotlight directory hierarchy. Now I could not find a way to add the missing resource fork so it was easier to rebuild the Spotlight index. To ensure I did that cleanly, I rebooted into normal mode and did the following:

1. Within the System Settings rebuild the Spotlight index by adding the Macintosh HD to the Privacy pane
  2. Next, reboot MacOS into Recovery Mode
  3. Open Disk Utility, mount the Data volume and quit Disk Utility
  4. Launch the Terminal in Recovery Mode
  5. Confirm that the file in question has been marked for removal by the following command:

In the results you will note that the file is still present but is within the following path:

/Volumes/Data/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V2/DeadFiles

You can remove this entire path manually by issuing the following command:

rm -rf /Volumes/Data/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V2/DeadFiles

Once this path is removed you can rerun the Disk Utility to confirm that the errors regarding "Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file" have all been resolved. You can then re-enable your Spotlight index by removing the Macintosh HD from the Privacy pane.

P.S. If you have other files showing up as warnings, they may exist in other paths and you can manually search these paths as well. Do so with caution since Terminal in Recovery Mode is a very powerful tool and can cause harm to your Mac if not used responsibly.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2022 6:10 PM in response to JMT!

Regarding the "Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file" warnings, these may be related to Spotlight index files. For me I was able to uncover these as follows:

1. Reboot MacOS into Recovery Mode
  2. Open Disk Utility, mount the Data volume and quit Disk Utility
  3. Launch the Terminal in Recovery Mode
  4. Search for the file by inode id with the following command:
find /Volumes/Data/ -inum ########

(where ######## is the inode id number of the file)

Now in your results you may find the file but for me there were no results but a few errors like:

/Volumes/Data/.Spotlight-V100: No such file or directory

So to get around this I searched directly within the directories they say didn't exist as follows:

Once I did that I was able to find each of the files within the Spotlight directory hierarchy. Now I could not find a way to add the missing resource fork so it was easier to rebuild the Spotlight index. To ensure I did that cleanly, I rebooted into normal mode and did the following:

1. Within the System Settings rebuild the Spotlight index by adding the Macintosh HD to the Privacy pane
  2. Next, reboot MacOS into Recovery Mode
  3. Open Disk Utility, mount the Data volume and quit Disk Utility
  4. Launch the Terminal in Recovery Mode
  5. Confirm that the file in question has been marked for removal by the following command:

In the results you will note that the file is still present but is within the following path:

/Volumes/Data/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V2/DeadFiles

You can remove this entire path manually by issuing the following command:

rm -rf /Volumes/Data/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V2/DeadFiles

Once this path is removed you can rerun the Disk Utility to confirm that the errors regarding "Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file" have all been resolved. You can then re-enable your Spotlight index by removing the Macintosh HD from the Privacy pane.

P.S. If you have other files showing up as warnings, they may exist in other paths and you can manually search these paths as well. Do so with caution since Terminal in Recovery Mode is a very powerful tool and can cause harm to your Mac if not used responsibly.

Nov 19, 2022 10:08 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply, but I’m still unclear as to whether or not I have resolved the issue of my laptop suddenly crashing for no apparent reason (which has happened even without videoconferencing) and why I am still getting “warning” messages in Disk Utility after having reinstalled Ventura OS. I’m not sure how to resolve the issue and remove the warnings…

Nov 19, 2022 6:07 AM in response to JMT!

JMT! wrote:

Not sure what's going on with my MacBook air, which is behaving erratically, freezing during videoconferencing and sometimes going unresponsive, requiring a reboot. I ran first aid and got a lot of warnings "i node" "Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file" "internal flags". After a lot of investigating, I decided to remove the Microsoft OneDrive application, because I don't use it anyway, and reinstall Ventura OS. I ran first aid again, and most of the warnings seem to have disappeared, but four of them remain. Is there anything else I can do to resolve these warnings? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me.

Verifying file system.
Using live mode.

<snip>

Operation successful.

What exactly is the ominous part?

I see no issue... <exit code 0>

if you want to unmount the volume— then launch the DiskUtiity from Internet Recovery and compare your results.

ref: How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

I would look elsewhere if you have video conferencing issues, posting a new question including "video conferencing" in the subject line if you are at a loss...

or Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Nov 19, 2022 9:54 AM in response to leroydouglas

The word “warning” in Disk Utility seems to imply that I should be worried, wouldn’t you agree? I know less about computer programming than I do about human languages, which is why the word “warning” caused me some concern. “Warning” implies that something “ominous” might happen to those who might ignore it, and I posted this in an attempt to stave off any potentially negative outcome that might have resulted in my disregarding such “warnings”. The issues I’ve been having go well beyond “video conferencing”, so, I’d really appreciate if anyone could explain why I am getting such “warnings” in disk utility and if it is actually safe to disregard them, which is what you seem to suggest. If this is the case, may I politely suggest that Apple find another term to replace the word “warning” that would be somewhat less “alarming” to those of us with a solid grasp of human languages, but whose computer skills are somewhat less proficient?

leroydouglas wrote:

JMT! wrote:

Verifying file system.
Using live mode.

<snip>

Operation successful.

What exactly is the ominous part?

I see no issue... <exit code 0>

if you want to unmount the volume— then launch the DiskUtiity from Internet Recovery and compare your results.
ref: How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

I would look elsewhere if you have video conferencing issues, posting a new question including "video conferencing" in the subject line if you are at a loss...

or Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)
or on line Apple Support

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone
See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.
Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Ominous "warnings" in Disk Utility even after reinstalling Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.