Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

I'v tried to format and reinstall MacOS, but the problem is still there. What do I do?

(I

Verifying file system.

Volume could not be unmounted

Using live mode.

Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1

Checking the container superblock.

Checking the checkpoint with transactionID 162206.

Checking the EFI jumpstart record..

Checking the space manager.

Checking the space manager free queue trees.

Checking the object map.

Checking the encryption key structures.

Checking volume /dev/rdisk1s1.

Checking the APFS volume superblock.

Volume Macintosh HD – data was formated by diskmanagementd (2142.120.7) and last modified by apfs_kext (2142.140.9).

Checking the object map.

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

Checking the snapshot metadata.

Checking the document ID tree.

Checking the fsroot tree.

warning: inode (id 308825): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

warning: inode (id 318745): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

warning: inode (id 318751): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

warning: inode (id 378118): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

warning: inode (id 451940): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

warning: inode (id 465354): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

warning: inode (id 494310): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

Checking the extent ref tree.

Verifying volume object map space.

Found volume /dev/rdisk1s1 damaged and must be repaird.

Verifying volume object map space.

Peforming repair of volum. (translated by me)

The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 appears to be OK.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as mounted

Operation successful.

iMac 27″

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 3:01 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Aug 18, 2023 5:09 PM in response to Gautis

Gautis wrote:

Well, to be honest, am I struggling with Terminal commands.
What du I put in where it says: find /Volumes/Data/ -inum ######## (Volums and Data?) ( -inum I understand)

You put the inode number in place of the "########".

For example using the sample output in your earlier post:

find  /Volumes/Data  -inum  308825

And when I says: Open Disk Utility, mount the Data volume and quit Disk Utility, is it enough to just mark the disk, and then close the Disk Utility ?

You launch Disk Utility, select the "Data" volume on the left pane and click the "Mount" button on the right side. Then quit Disk Utility.

Because every time I run First Aid, the same "error" is still there.

Like @Barney-15E says, it is a "warning", not an error. As long as you are not experiencing an actual problem, then it should be safe to ignore the "warnings". I believe those "warnings" are a programmer's/developer's reference/notation like @Barney-15E mentions which has a different meaning from what most end users would expect a "warning" to mean. I've never seen First Aid repair any "warnings". I have seen First Aid repair "errors" though (at least some of them anyway). If an "error" (it will literally be noted as "error") is not fixed, then you should definitely deal with it since an "error" will usually cause a problem.

Those "warnings" are in reference to extended attributes (xattr) for resource forks. Basically this provides some extra information about a file/folder. The reason these "warnings" came back is because these are hidden files associated with a file/folder and these extended attributes are not properly marked as such anymore or have become corrupted (no idea on the exact problem as I really don't know much about them except for quickly skimming a few articles today). This error does not affect the actual data on the disk, only some of the extra meta data which may be associated with a file/folder. Here are a couple of article regarding these items in case you are interested:

https://eclecticlight.co/2017/12/11/an-introduction-to-extended-attributes-xattrs/

https://eclecticlight.co/2019/12/10/stick-a-fork-in-it-and-other-flashbacks/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/follow-up-question-about-resource-forks-and-how-it-affects-my-data-archival.2290263/

Aug 18, 2023 2:53 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Well, to be honest, am I struggling with Terminal commands.

What du I put in where it says: find /Volumes/Data/ -inum ######## (Volums and Data?) ( -inum I understand)

And when I says: Open Disk Utility, mount the Data volume and quit Disk Utility, is it enough to just mark the disk, and then close the Disk Utility ?

Aug 19, 2023 4:41 AM in response to Gautis

And just for fun, I checked my old MacBook Pro 2017 (Ventura), and the exact same disk (Macintosh HD - data) had the same warnings, so I did the same procedure there: rebooted into Recovery Mode, ran DISK utility, than REPAIR, saw the warnings, then unmounted disk, and mounted it, and then ran REPAIR again, and VOILA, gone :D

Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.