Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving itunes from Windows to iMac

Hi,

We have a HUGE itunes libary on a windows pc and are going to be purchasing an iMac shortly! I am aware of the process of transferring itunes libaries to a new computer however I would prefer, if possible, to avoid eating up the memory of the new iMAC with all the songs.

I therefore wondered if its possible to transfer the itunes to the cloud, as opposed to directly to the iMAC, and if so, whether the songs can then be accessed and used normally through Apple Music on the iMAC?

Many thanks.

Gavin

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 12:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 4:12 AM

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. You could potentially store the library on an external drive to avoid using internal storage. If you're happy to go cloud based then Apple's iTunes Match or Apple Music services are possible solutions. Apple Music is more expensive, but gives you access to a large amount of content. Make sure that your library is backed up before you start so that it you're ever unhappy about some item of matched content you can always go back to your original.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2021 4:12 AM in response to GBC847

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. You could potentially store the library on an external drive to avoid using internal storage. If you're happy to go cloud based then Apple's iTunes Match or Apple Music services are possible solutions. Apple Music is more expensive, but gives you access to a large amount of content. Make sure that your library is backed up before you start so that it you're ever unhappy about some item of matched content you can always go back to your original.

tt2

Moving itunes from Windows to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.