Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting another persons @icloud emails!

Hi all,

I have had an @me.com email address since the day these addresses were made available. For the last many years (5-7 if I were to guess) I've been receiving other people's emails.

It's the exact same problem this person posted about back in 2018 but got no answers.

My address is, let's say, myname@me.com but I'm getting e-mails sent to myname@icloud.com constantly. It's about 15-25 emails a day, some with password recovery links, other with very personal information.

The first few years, I found out the mails were meant for a man in Germany, but the last two-three years, they're clearly for a British guy — lots of Brexit Party mails :)

It's the same @icloud.com address, so perhaps the german fellow closed his account and the brit then registered it?

I tried mailing the german guy years ago, but of course, the mails just came back to me and he didn't reply so I don't think he got them. Then I mailed some of the people and organizations that sent the mails, so they could perhaps reach out to him by other means, but I never heard back.

It's pretty unsettling because I hate getting this British guy's personal stuff, even though I have only opened a few to see if I could reach him someway. And, is he getting my emails too? It's just a bad situation overall.

Problem is, I don't want to post the real email addresses here, and it's of course impossible to find a mail address for anyone at Apple to notify.

It's something you always promise yourself you'll do something about tomorrow, but then never get around to :) But after I saw the post I linked to above getting no reply, I finally decided to post here to let the mods know that there are others.

I would be happy to help any way I can, and if others have had the same problem, please also post here. It would be interesting to know if others have had the issue, and had it resolved.

Cheers,

Thomas

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 1:48 AM

You have mentioned - but I'm getting e-mails sent to myname@icloud.com constantly. It's about 15-25 emails a day, some with password recovery links, other with very personal information.

Did you clicked on the link to reset password , you don't need to sent mails to unknown persons as once the mail address is revealed phi-shy mails will be received .

See some articles Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

You can create rules for incoming mails and move to trash Set up rules to filter email in Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support

The Apple ID say example1@icloud.com can't be repeated by another person , as when the account is created , the credentials are set up with account , and another person can't gain it sitting far away unless you reveal to them , also iCloud server will not accept the repeated mail address ( you can verify it with apple support Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

)

You can convert the account that is signed in Mac / iPhone used with two factor authentication and can create alias for mail address Use email aliases on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2021 1:48 AM in response to Thomas Boelskifte

You have mentioned - but I'm getting e-mails sent to myname@icloud.com constantly. It's about 15-25 emails a day, some with password recovery links, other with very personal information.

Did you clicked on the link to reset password , you don't need to sent mails to unknown persons as once the mail address is revealed phi-shy mails will be received .

See some articles Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

You can create rules for incoming mails and move to trash Set up rules to filter email in Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support

The Apple ID say example1@icloud.com can't be repeated by another person , as when the account is created , the credentials are set up with account , and another person can't gain it sitting far away unless you reveal to them , also iCloud server will not accept the repeated mail address ( you can verify it with apple support Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

)

You can convert the account that is signed in Mac / iPhone used with two factor authentication and can create alias for mail address Use email aliases on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Jun 27, 2021 2:34 AM in response to Thomas Boelskifte

The most likely explanation is that these idiots have decided that they own this email address when obviously they don't. It sounds bizarre, but you're not the first person to have this problem. It's not a situation where changing your password is going to make any difference. They are using this address to apply for memberships or make purchases.

The laborious way of dealing with this is to reply to each one pointing out that this email is being used in error. This won't make any difference unless the original email from the idiot has included his physical address, as when he's making a purchase. It's probably not worth getting involved in this.

Since you are not using the @icloud.com version of your address, only the @me.com you can minimize the annoyance by setting up a Rule to move any such messages to the Trash, from where they will automatically be deleted after a week.

Go to the Mail page at icloud.com and click the cogwheel icon at bottom left. Choose Rules. Click 'Add a Rule":

Set the options as above, click 'Done' and then 'Done' at the bottom of the pane.

The perpetrator is obviously not receiving any answers to his messages: perhaps after a century or two the penny will drop.

Jun 27, 2021 1:35 AM in response to Thomas Boelskifte

Sometimes someone is simply guessing an email address or did not understand the address correctly someone told him. If the guessed address does not bounce, they think, they have used the correct address and keep sending more messages to the same address. You may want to return the emails to the sender, if they are clearly not meant for you, with the information that they are using a wrong email address.

I received for some time letters to a parent about about their kids from the school (on a different continent), so I wrote to the school to ask the parents for the correct address.

Getting another persons @icloud emails!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.