Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AOL and Hotmail mystery

I am helping a retired friend with an email problem. Lets just say her email address is

Xyzw@AOL.com

Her contacts are suddenly receiving email from her for which the sender is Xyzw@hotmail.com.

She has not a hotmail account of any kind.

She is using a MacBook Pro and goes to the AOL web page to send and receive mail. When I sent an email to myself, it came from XyzW@aol.com. However, when I forwarded an email to myself which contained the Xyzw@hotmail.com address, even though I sent it from her AOL mail, when I received it, it appeared to be from Xyzw@hotmail.com and the Reply to: was also Xyzw@hotmail.com.

I poked around her settings and the reply to: was set to Xyzw@aol.com.

I sent an email from her account to someone who had previously received an email sent from Xyzw@hotmail.com. Again, in the Sent email box, the return address was Xyzw@hotmail.com.

As I understand it, hotmail is a Microsoft product.

I tried to take over this mysterious Xyzw@hotmail.com and was unable to. I really did not expect to but I figured if I could, I could change the password to something unguessable.

I am guessing that someone has obtained a copy of my friend's contact list and is also sending email apparently from Xyzw@hotmail.com. Or else, something has corrupted her computer in such a way that email that she is intending to send from Xyzw@aol.com is instead appearing as Xyxw@hotmail.com.

I am way past the extent of my own technical expertise. Should I advise her to go to an Apple store? Is there an email answer or a technical article online which would explain what it happening and how to stop it?

She is almost ready to give up on AOL but trying to change her address with all her contacts including her bank would be most daunting and frustrating.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 9:25 PM

Gil Woolley Said:

"AOL and Hotmail mystery: I am helping a retired friend with an email problem. [...]I sent an email from her account to someone who had previously received an email sent from Xyzw@hotmail.com. Again, in the Sent email box, the return address was Xyzw@hotmail.com.[...]"

-------

Managing an eMail Account:

Seems to me you need to remove the account from your Internet Account List, and your Keychain. and then all would be fine, being the undesired account would no longer reside. Use these two links:

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2022 9:25 PM in response to Gil Woolley

Gil Woolley Said:

"AOL and Hotmail mystery: I am helping a retired friend with an email problem. [...]I sent an email from her account to someone who had previously received an email sent from Xyzw@hotmail.com. Again, in the Sent email box, the return address was Xyzw@hotmail.com.[...]"

-------

Managing an eMail Account:

Seems to me you need to remove the account from your Internet Account List, and your Keychain. and then all would be fine, being the undesired account would no longer reside. Use these two links:

Mar 23, 2022 10:52 AM in response to Gil Woolley

I sent it from her AOL mail, when I received it, it appeared to be from Xyzw@hotmail.com and the Reply to: was also Xyzw@hotmail.com.

I poked around her settings and the reply to: was set to Xyzw@aol.com.

I think there's a damaged file, maybe a plist on her Mac, or that account...

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Mar 22, 2022 8:41 PM in response to BDAqua

Well, is the content of the hotmail's content as sent from aol?

I copied and pasted the text from an email which had originated on my friend's computer into a new email. The first time this email was sent, it appeared to be from XywzZ@hotmail.com. When I sent it a second time today, it again appeared to come from the hotmail account. I had looked at the settings for her account and they were to send and receive Xywz@aol.com

What happens if she logs into aol & sends it from WebMail.

I don't think she has done that. I figured that if she is logged into AOL on her Safari browser, that would give me the best chance to view her settings.

Could the contact cards of the receivers be off?

I would say no. When I sent a defective email from her account to my own email account it showed up as from hotmail.

When I just created an email from scratch on her account and sent it to me, then it came properly as from Xywz@aol.com.

My own contacts for her does not show the hotmail email address. It only shows the aol address.

Mar 23, 2022 2:35 PM in response to BDAqua

I tried this. I think it works but only limited testing.

Previously, when I forwarded an email from her account which contained the hotmail address it came to me from hotmail. With the new admin account, when I forwarded the same email a second time, it came to me from the AOL account.

I checked her contact card from within Users and Groups and deleted an email address which had her email spelled wrong with an unwanted n in it. But it was not a hotmail email address. I found her AOL email address and a new gmail email address.

Tomorrow when I will be less an imposition, I'll do some more testing to verify a solution.

Mar 24, 2022 10:01 PM in response to BDAqua

Her problem is difficult to reproduce so right now I am going to say it works.

What still really troubles me is that she sends and receives email in Safari at the AOL website. When one composes email on that site, there is a possibility to change the sender's email to one of three. The proper one and one which is ****@hotmail.com. This clearly could happen by mistake. I don't find any way to delete the incorrect From email address. I've cautioned the resident to look out but it seems all too easy for that to be changed by mistake.

I will wait a few days and see if the problem recurs.

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Mar 25, 2022 2:59 PM in response to BDAqua

Where is the AOL WebMail Server?

My friend accesses AOL mail using Safari on a MacBook Pro. I'd never used AOL mail since the ancient hundreds of free CD of AOL days. So I don't know my way around the AOL web page very well.

One clue I learned today is that none of the outgoing emails listing ****@hotmail.com started on and after 2 March, 2022. On that very same day she had decided to set up a ****@gmail.com account. I cannot see any relation between gmail and hotmail but she insists that that is when her email outgoing started having the hotmail.com ending. The **** portion of her gmail account is different from the **** portion of her aol.com account and her ****@hotmail.com account. Actually, as far as I can tell she has no hotmail account. At least not one that I could log into for her.

I don't know how to check her Contacts in her AOL account.

However, when I am in her AOL account in Safari on her computer and compose a message to myself for testing, I am offered the choice of three sender email addresses: ****@aol.com, ****@hotmail.com, and ****@aim.com. I doubt that aim.com is even a possible address but it shows up as one of the choices.

AOL and Hotmail mystery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.