Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes and backups

Hey gang,

I recently bought an iPhone 12. Prior to go buy the phone at the Apple store I downloaded Itunes on my work laptop and made a backup of my iPhone 7+.

I exchanged my 7+ at the Apple store so I don't have access to it anymore.

Went I came back home, surprise, the backup was encrypted. I tried every password known that I could have used there but no success.

I have a previous backup on my personal laptop, this one is not encrypted, but seems empty.

I read a lot of post about those loss backup passwords. It is depressing to see that after so many years Apple has not do anything about it. I personally just want to get my photos back.

I have multiple questions:

• Why is the encrypted box checked even though it was a fresh new iTunes install?
  • Is the encryption password linked to the backup itself, or the device, or iTunes? The phone previously belonged to my brother-in-law and I was wondering if even after a reset of the phone it could be his password for the backup. I had iPhones before, and was wondering if I could have set up a password before on previous devices that was carried on this one (though one backup was not encrypted...)
  • If the box is checked, that does mean that a human checked it right? Or can it be a legacy of some security coming from the laptop? Has I am using my work laptop.

It is very frustrating, knowing that I could have exported those photos and videos outside of the backup. But still, seeing that many people with the same issues should raise flag at Apple.

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 9:25 AM

If your brother properly cleared the iPhone before giving it to you then his password should not be in play but you can always try. If you have any health data on your iPhone, or your brother had some health data, then the iPhone is automatically going to do an encrypted backup due to HIPAA and other privacy concerns. If this is a work computer that can also be a factor.

There is nothing here that should raise a red flag at Apple.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2021 9:25 AM in response to Stoobyte

If your brother properly cleared the iPhone before giving it to you then his password should not be in play but you can always try. If you have any health data on your iPhone, or your brother had some health data, then the iPhone is automatically going to do an encrypted backup due to HIPAA and other privacy concerns. If this is a work computer that can also be a factor.

There is nothing here that should raise a red flag at Apple.

Itunes and backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.