Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VERTICAL SHEETS TABS IN NUMBERS Mac and/or Ipad

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to display the sheets tabs vertically, along the left of the screen; rather than the default horizontal orientation along the top?

Is this even possible?

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 7:03 AM

That is not possible.

But you have a lot of sheets (tabs) you can get a quick vertical list and navigate to the one of your choice with this Jump to Sheet Automator Service (Dropbox download):

To install double-click the downloaded .workflow package and give permission at System Preferences > Security & Privacy. Also make sure Automator is listed and checked at System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility.

To use just choose Jump to Sheet from Numbers > Services in the menu (or attach the service to a keyboard shortcut at System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services).

SG

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2021 7:03 AM in response to Chromagreen

That is not possible.

But you have a lot of sheets (tabs) you can get a quick vertical list and navigate to the one of your choice with this Jump to Sheet Automator Service (Dropbox download):

To install double-click the downloaded .workflow package and give permission at System Preferences > Security & Privacy. Also make sure Automator is listed and checked at System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility.

To use just choose Jump to Sheet from Numbers > Services in the menu (or attach the service to a keyboard shortcut at System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services).

SG

Jun 28, 2021 11:01 AM in response to Chromagreen

The likelihood of them making this change is pretty low. In the early days, the "tabs" were down the left side, as you would like, and it was great. You could have it showing just the sheets or you could show the sheets and tables. It was very easy to navigate across sheets and tables, especially if you had more than a few sheets. It was a feature that blew Excel away big time in terms of usability. While I am fondly reminiscing, sheets back then were like page layouts. It was WYSIWYG; you could see exactly how it would print and you could adjust positions and sizes of the individual items on the sheet to get it to look and print just how you wanted. That feature completely blew Excel out of the water in terms of usability. And there was a toolbar at the top with useful formatting tools like text color and fills and all right there, one click away.

Then came the iPad. Apple dumbed down the Mac version of Numbers to make it look and act like the iOS version that was much less capable. It was a major, and I mean MAJOR, downgrade in usability. They have since made improvements in calculation speed and added some new functions but the totally nifty features that I felt really set Numbers far above Excel in terms of usability have not returned.

Jun 28, 2021 11:26 AM in response to Badunit

They used to have it??! Jeez. It seems like such an obviously useful feature to me.

Good to know some of the history. I was introduced to numbers for the Ipad actually, learning as I go. And then I moved to the Mac version. What I know probably scratches the surface. So, Apple probably dumbed it down for users like me. However, I do find I'm left wanting more. Or maybe wanting to know more..

And maybe it's because of gaps in my knowledge of the app, but I don't find the Mac version very intuitive to use.

I very much appreciate a WYSIWYG layout.

Anyway, for my purposes, it works better than any other app/program I've found. I don't see myself moving to Excel.

And it is actually easier to scroll through the horizontal tabs with the trackpad than I'd initially thought.

Thanks for your response

Jun 28, 2021 9:12 PM in response to Chromagreen

Chromagreen wrote:

Anyway, for my purposes, it works better than any other app/program I've found. I don't see myself moving to Excel.

And it is actually easier to scroll through the horizontal tabs with the trackpad than I'd initially thought.

Excel is excellent on the Mac, if you ever have to make that move, perhaps to collaborate with other people who use Excel. However, as you say, the trackpad is the say to go for horizontal scrolling among sheets (tabs) in Numbers. Swiping is fast.

I find the current version of Numbers to. be a MUCH more powerful, streamlined, and versatile app than the quirky old Numbers 2.x. You're not missing much, except the display of sheet names down the side.

(Can't say the same for the current version of Pages versus the old version of Pages. The older version was clearly more capable.)

SG

VERTICAL SHEETS TABS IN NUMBERS Mac and/or Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.