Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Table cell gridlines

In pages, when I create a table, I can set it to have no borders and have gridlines visible by choosing the show layout view. But in this view, I still don't have gridlines of the individual cells of the table. I just have a gridline showing me the outside border of the table. How can I have gridlines helping me differentiate all the cells of the table. To clarify, I want to see clearly all the cells of the table but I don't want it to show when printing.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 1:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 6:28 AM

There is not one line of MS Word code in Pages, nor did Apple develop it to be a Word clone. You must manually hide the grid lines in a Pages table if you do not want them to appear on printed matter.

Of course, you could use Word on macOS to get those missing options… 😎

5 replies

Jun 29, 2021 6:03 AM in response to aliyucad

When I insert a new table, and visit the Cell tab, with the border style still set to default, and then choose No Border, I am left with this:

The gridlines for the individual cells remain. If I click on the outline border icon, and change from No Border to a line segment then I get the outside border replaced around the table. If I select the table and then click on the upper-right Border symbol, the grid lines will double until I select Border Style to None, then the entire table grid vanishes. This latter mode will prevent Pages from printing gridlines in your table.

Jun 29, 2021 5:29 AM in response to VikingOSX

First of all, thank you for your reply. But my problem is when I select no border as the border style, the gridlines for the individual cells disappear. There is only a thin line that shows me the outside border of the table. I want to see the gridlines so that I can distinguish each cell of the table but I do not want to see them when I print. If I select any other border style other than "no border" then I achieve what I want until I print the document because I don't want to see any border or gridline printed.

Jun 29, 2021 6:13 AM in response to VikingOSX

Okay. That is also what I get. But what I want is to see the gridlines, but when printing I don't want them to show on paper and print preview. Surely, I can manually do as you said, and before printing get rid of the gridlines, but I just wondered if there was an option as I described. The reason why I am asking is, such an option exists in Microsoft Word and I think it is a great option.

Table cell gridlines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.