Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it normal for this process to take 39 hours?

Just received my first Mac and am in the process of transferring data from my PC to my Mac. The Migration Assistant indicates it will take 39 hours! In selecting files to transfer, I simply checked all available files, but I’m thinking I may have made a mistake. 😬. Has anyone else done this? Did it take 39 hours?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 1:59 PM

Does the data have to traverse your home Wi-Fi network TWICE, both to and from your Router?

if yes, then 39 hours is quite possible.

An ethernet connection for one of the two hops over your home network will speed things up a little. If wifi-6 is available, that can be comparable to Ethernet speeds.

The fastest method is to use your old Time machine backup drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2021 1:59 PM in response to dt01764

Does the data have to traverse your home Wi-Fi network TWICE, both to and from your Router?

if yes, then 39 hours is quite possible.

An ethernet connection for one of the two hops over your home network will speed things up a little. If wifi-6 is available, that can be comparable to Ethernet speeds.

The fastest method is to use your old Time machine backup drive.

Is it normal for this process to take 39 hours?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.