Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Child is somehow getting around screentime restrictions

Hi so I am at my wits end with Master almost 12!

He is OBSESSED with Roblox & YouTube among other things so we are trying to help him limit his screen use. Because he needs to use his iPad for assignments at home etc as he does not have access to my computer. So we have set up Screentime. BUT he is somehow changing screentime limits & restrictions at will. And basically bypassing it all the time! I have searched the internet & I already have the settings set to apparently “stop” these “known hacks” so can not work out what I am missing! I have read so many articles & discussions.

We have a Screentime password set. He does not know it. I have changed it several times over the last couple of weeks. I have it on my phone in a locked note. He does not know my phones pass code.

I have Block at end of limit set & have time limits set, but somehow he is changing these to either INCREASE the time limit or delete it! I never respond to requests for more time so he doesn’t even send them.

Within the restrictions I have COMPLETELY TURNED OFF the App store - so no installing, deleting or in app purchases. Plus Ask to Buy is enabled. Only I can approve ask to buy & I have my notifications set on my phone to not be read/ access from a locked screen. I even have the Appstore restricted on my phone & it is set to passcode required always. He does not know my apple passcode. I have not set approval on my husband’s phone. So he should not be able to bypass by deleting & reinstalling. Although at times I have noticed the Appstore restrictions have been changed. I have also noticed other restrictions have changed such as the ones allowing multiplayer games & adding friends etc.

I have restrictions set to 12+ for apps & at times if he won’t get off I change it to allow NO APPS but he is somehow changing it to allow ALL APPS! Remember these settings are behind a screentime passcode! In fact I had that set earlier today & he changed it. And I did it again tonight. And once again while I am writing this it has somewhow been changed back!!

I have the date & time set to automatic & then the ability to change is switched off at the System level so that date & time can’t be changed.

I have screen recording TURNED OFF.

I have restricted a number of websites including one that advertises Screentime++ but I have no idea how to see if he has already put it on his iPad. Based on videos I have watched it seems to be in the settings somewhere so you can access it & activate it & I can’t see it there.

I don’t think he is doing a reset & erase because that would take too long for everything to download again. And whatever he is doing it is happening quickly. Would a soft reset make changes?

He keeps putting his ipad into airplane mode & I know this doesn’t report useage to me, but can anyone tell me if doing this resets restrictions? Because if it does why are the changes different everytime? I set up an automation to turn airplane mode off whenever it is turned on. I set itto NOT give a notification. And it was working. For like 2 days! But the there were notifications again & he just followed it & turned it off!

His iPad is WiFi only so has not standalone internet access. And I can’t just turn off the internet as I work from home & am also studying. So I NEED the internet! We have tried 3rd party screentime apps but they all use VPNs. And he literally just goes to the VPN area & deletes it!

He has a passcode to unlock his iPad & he knows his apple ID & password. Is screentime affected by logging in & out of his apple ID? I did have do not allow account changes restricted but then he couldn’t Facetime. He has a fingerprint to unlock his passcode but that can’t be set access screentime can it? I thought it was completely different!

There MUST be something I am missing! This is ridiculous! If SETTINGS was behind a passcode I reckon there wouldn’t be most of these issues!

please help.

thanks.

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 4:41 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Child is somehow getting around screentime restrictions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.