Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recording Analog to new iMac

I recently purchased a new iMac and discovered that Apple has eliminated the 3.5mm audio input port. I have been systematically moving analog LP and tape to digital for some time, and would like to continue, but have no idea how. I purchased a stereo RCA-to-USB cable but of course nothing at the USB end tells the Mac that this is in any way an audio input. Curious if there is a simple resolution to this new input limitation.

iMac 27″, 10.13

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 7:37 AM

About the audio ports on your Mac - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/about-audio-ports-cpmh0052/mac

The headphone port has audio input capabilities. (headphone mic, for example)

Otherwise, there are many USB-C audio input adapters available. (Google is our friend here.)

The trick is to go into the System Preferences > Sound > Input and configure the Mac to use your USB-C connected device.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2021 7:37 AM in response to Gregory Frost

About the audio ports on your Mac - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/about-audio-ports-cpmh0052/mac

The headphone port has audio input capabilities. (headphone mic, for example)

Otherwise, there are many USB-C audio input adapters available. (Google is our friend here.)

The trick is to go into the System Preferences > Sound > Input and configure the Mac to use your USB-C connected device.

Jul 1, 2021 3:31 PM in response to Gregory Frost

I see. Scratching my head here.

What audio capture software do you use?

I did find this below pic in a youtube vid discussing the KONIG USB controller in your posted pic. It appears the macOS is not supported by this device which may be part of the monaural audio problem.

I'm going to suggest this $20 Behringer USB audio interface (UCA202) that is definitely Mac compatible:

Behringer UCS202 USB Audio Interface - Sweetwater Sound

Behringer makes pro audio gear so this is at the very low end of their spectrum, but probably right in your budget I think.

That box and this Hosa RCA-RCA cable - Sweetwater Sound and I think you're golden.

And with much better quality than the USB dongle you have there at hand.

Jul 1, 2021 2:25 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

There's really nothing to post. No link to an mfg or model. It's a 3 foot black cable with RCA plugs on one end and a USB plug on the other, a straight adapter cable. I've also tried a cable that's RCA plugs on one end and 3.5mm stereo plug on the other, plugged it into a Konig USB 5.1 "3D Virtual Sound Controller" which has one 3.5mm port for headphones and one for a mic in. The mic input on that shows up under System Prefs/Sound, allowing me to record, but the signal coming through it is monaural (although the output port is stereo). Don't know why, except that it's not the cable in that case, as it jacked directly into my previous iMac's LineIn port and played just fine.

Jul 1, 2021 4:10 PM in response to Gregory Frost

If your previous method was to plug in a cord from your analog source into your Mac using a cable ending with a male 3.5mm TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) connector, then you'll need to get a TRS to TRRS (Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve) adaptor as the new macs have eliminated the separate TRS input and TRS headphone jacks and have combined them into a single jack with a TRRS connector.

Here is an adaptor I use:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1048151-REG/rode_sc4_trs_to_trrs_adaptor.html

I'm sure there are others out there.

MtD

Recording Analog to new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.