what mac models have an audio in port?

Does anyone have a definitive list of mac models with an audio in port, please?

Apple say they sometimes equip the same 3.5mm jack socket to serve for audio out AND audio in. And they say that if a 3.5mm socket is labelled with a special symbol it denotes that this is an audio in port. I have an old Mac Mini with two 3.5 mm ports, one of which is labelled with headphones and the other with the 'audio out' symbol. I am just wondering if anybody has (or knows where I can find) a list of Mac models with either dedicated audio-in or dual-function audio in/out 3.5 mm jack sockets.

I just found a cache of about 100 analogue cassettes from the 1980s that I want to digitise. Also happy to use an external 'audio capture' device with USB or other mac-compatible connectivity. Currently using MacBook Air M1 2020. The 3.5mm port on that has no symbol at all.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mac mini, 10.10

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 8:11 AM

The 2014 and earlier Mac mini’s had line-in input via the Input port.

The 2018 and later Mac mini’s have a single TSSR jack for headphone and headset input.

If you are wanting to input into a 2018 or later Mac mini, then you need to do that using a USB to Audio adapter.

Similar questions

3 replies

what mac models have an audio in port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.